[comp.lang.c] VMS-C curses

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (09/06/87)

In article <2247@enea.UUCP> sommar@enea.UUCP(Erland Sommarskog) writes:
>Anyway, a little correction here. As far I know VAX-C curses is built on
>SMG, the modern correspondence to curses on VMS. SMG has support for
>non-DEC terminals. You can write your own TERMTABLE.TXT describing the
>terminal you have. I guess this is just like termcap and as far as I can
>read from my VMS manual, ...

I have once spent some time to write a TERMTABLE.TXT for a Hewlett-Packard
terminal. Very soon I found out that

 a). the capabilities of SMG require the terminal to be VT100 (or ANSI)
     alike. I could not convince SMG to use zero-relative (as opposed to
     one-relative) cursor addressing, for example.

 b). no useful [:-)] VMS program used SMG.

So folks, stick to your Dec machines & Dec terminals ...

PS: I posted a Unix compatible Termcap library for VAX/VMS to comp.os.vms
     last week. It is not curses (yet...). But maybe it helps.

--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{?????!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv