[comp.lang.c] file descriptor -> pathname

mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (09/07/87)

In article <1478@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
> wendt@arizona.edu (Alan Lee Wendt) writes:
>> Another problem with error reporting on Unix is that there's no way
>> that I know of to translate open file id's back into filenames.

> Basically, because there is no such translation.  You've got an
> i-node open,
It may even not be an i-node: it may be a pipe or a socket or whatever
else your system may have for file descriptors to refer to...
> and it may have many names.
...or no name at all, as you point out (deleted for brevity).

This gets periodically hashed out here or in comp.unix.something (it
really belongs in *.unix.* and I'd move it there except there's no
comp.unix.misc); the consensus is always that there is no way to do
this in general, as Dale Worley says.  Why am I posting?  I suppose in
a (probably wasted :-() effort to stop it this time before it gets
started....

					der Mouse

				(mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp)