[comp.lang.c] lint for PC wanted

jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) (08/21/87)

Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
a toy.

--
        Jonathan G. Bressel
        The MITRE Corporation

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (08/29/87)

In article <11709@linus.UUCP> jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) writes:

>Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
>concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
>a toy.

I just received the announcement of version 2.10 of PC-lint from
Gimpel Software.  I use an earlier version, and it seems a rather
complete LINT.  I think it's about $100 new ($35 for the upgrade from
a previous version).

Their company info is:
	Gimpel Software
	3207 Hogarth Lane
	Collegeville, PA 19426

	215-584-4261

I have no connection with the company (though I used to work and play
with Jim Gimpel a decade ago).

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

dave@mtuxo.UUCP (Dave Lindsay) (09/02/87)

In article <11709@linus.UUCP>, jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) writes:

> Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
> concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
> a toy.
>
> --
>         Jonathan G. Bressel

There is PC-Lint by Gimpel Software, PA (215) 584-4261
Retail is $139 with  discounts via various mail order companies.

Dave Lindsay AT&T, mtuxo!dave

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/03/87)

In article <11709@linus.UUCP>, jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) writes:

> Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
> concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
> a toy.

For checking the program only, I use Microsoft C with the warning level
turned up. This has helped me port stuff from VAX->Xenix, VAX->68000,
68000->VAX. It catches the pointer<->int, inconsistant arguments, etc.

Since you want low $, I suggest QuickC for $99.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) (09/04/87)

In article <11709@linus.UUCP>, jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) writes:

> Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
> concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
> a toy.

Gimpel Software's PC-Lint is really very good.  It supports the latest
versions of most compilers (including Microsoft C 5.0 which isn't really
out yet), and does a really good job.  The latest version is 3.00 I
think.  It is available from:

	Gimpel Software
	3207 Hogarth Lane
	Collegeville, Pa. 19426
	(215) 584-4261

I don't remember the exact price, but it was reasonably cheap, <$150.00
I think.  And stay away from Pre-C, yet another in a series of massively
overpriced "so what?" software from Phoenix.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (09/09/87)

In article <7213@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <11709@linus.UUCP>, jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) writes:
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to a good lint program for the IBM PC?  My chief
>> concern is cost, although I'd like it to be a good implementation, not
>> a toy.
>
>For checking the program only, I use Microsoft C with the warning level
>turned up. This has helped me port stuff from VAX->Xenix, VAX->68000,
>68000->VAX. It catches the pointer<->int, inconsistant arguments, etc.

Another (non-LINT) possibility in the vein of this posting is TURBO C
with all the messages turned on.  Turbo gives you a lot of control
over all sorts of warnings of possible problems; in the integrated
environment, you can turn each of these warnings on or off from a
pull-down menu.

That, combined with function prototyping, will give near-LINT
protection.

Once again, if you really want LINT, PC-LINT from Gimpel Software
is very complete.