[comp.lang.c] Creating a new DOS shell through MSC 4.0

buwyatt%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Jamie Wyatt) (09/04/87)

I am working on a project and I wish to allow the user to spawn
to the dos shell to allow him to perform DOS command then type
'EXIT' and return to my application.

buwyatt%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Jamie Wyatt) (09/04/87)

I am working on a project and I wish to allow the user to spawn
to the dos shell to allow the use of DOS commands then
when finished type 'EXIT' and return to my application.

I have it working but the DOS environment is destroyed. Anything
that was set before my program is called is OK but the remainder
of the environment is destroyed (filled with garbage) so that
no further 'sets' can be performed.

This is  a sample of what I did to get the shell up:

mc68020@gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (09/09/87)

In article <9172@brl-adm.ARPA>, buwyatt%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Jamie Wyatt) writes:
> I am working on a project and I wish to allow the user to spawn
> to the dos shell to allow him to perform DOS command then type
> 'EXIT' and return to my application.

   Look, Jamie, nothing personal, but this is ** NOT A C LANGUAGE PROBLEM **!

   This newsgroup is for the discussion of C language issues.  Your problem is
quite clearly an MeSSY-DOS programming problem.  I have noted an increasing
number of such MeSsy-DOS programming questions appearing here.  Kindly ask
these questions elsewhere, thank you.
--
Tom Keller
VOICE  : + 1 707 575 9493

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (09/12/87)

In article <1125@gilsys.UUCP> mc68020@gilsys.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>In article <9172@brl-adm.ARPA>, buwyatt%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET (Jamie Wyatt) writes:
>> I am working on a project and I wish to allow the user to spawn
>> to the dos shell...
>
>   Look, Jamie, nothing personal, but this is ** NOT A C LANGUAGE PROBLEM **!
>
>   This newsgroup is for the discussion of C language issues.  Your problem is
>quite clearly an MeSSY-DOS programming problem.  I have noted an increasing
>number of such MeSsy-DOS programming questions appearing here.  Kindly ask
>these questions elsewhere, thank you.
>--
>Tom Keller
>VOICE  : + 1 707 575 9493
>UUCP   : {ihnp4,ames,sun,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!gilsys!mc68020

Actually, the question that Jamie asked is not messy, nor is it
particularly DOS.  This question has to do with the C/DOS interface.
The answer is the system function call 'system("command");'.  The
programming technique is completely analogous to the technique used
in unix (' system("sh"); ').

This question is germain to C as much as any discussion of the functions
are (such as printf, malloc, scanf, etc) or would you rather exclude
these as not being 'strictly C'.  There is a Waterloo C compiler for
the IBM 370 series to operate under cms which doesn't have any unix
like interfaces (no malloc even, so have fun with dynamic trees), which
demonstrates that C is a very primitive language with strong structures.
As far as the real power of C, it is strongly dependent on the interface
the language has with the system, and most of the questions I've seen here
deal with how do the functions behave (at least, this is the kind of
information I've found the most interesting).

Dan