[comp.lang.c] ST Languages

KSN@PSUVMB.BITNET (Peter A. Krupa) (10/05/87)

I'm searching for good version of standard Pascal (UCSD if possible),
and a great version of C (ANSI standard) for the Atari 1040ST.  If you
know of a company either can be purchased from, please let me know.

Thanks.

-------

Spiny_Norman
UUCP:     gatech!akgua!ihnp4!psuvax1!psuvmb.BITNET!ksn
BITNET:   kns@psuvmb.BITNET
US MAIL:  3004 Plaza Drive
          State College, PA 16801
PHONE:    814-237-8092

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (10/07/87)

In article <21589KSN@PSUVMB> KSN@PSUVMB.BITNET (Peter A. Krupa) writes:
>I'm searching for good version of standard Pascal (UCSD if possible),
>and a great version of C (ANSI standard) for the Atari 1040ST.  If you
>know of a company either can be purchased from, please let me know.

	UCSD Pascal (aka the Power System) for the Atari ST is available for
about $100 from:

	Pecan Software Systems
	1410 - 39th Street
	Brooklyn  NY  11218
	(718) 851-3100

(they may have an 800 number, and regularly advertise in BYTE).
--
Sam'l Bassett, Writer/Editor/Consultant -- ideas & opinions mine!
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;  (415) 454-7282

koster@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Kurt Koster) (10/08/87)

In article <4158@well.UUCP> samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) writes:
>In article <21589KSN@PSUVMB> KSN@PSUVMB.BITNET (Peter A. Krupa) writes:
>>I'm searching for good version of standard Pascal (UCSD if possible),
>>and a great version of C (ANSI standard) for the Atari 1040ST.  If you
>>know of a company either can be purchased from, please let me know.
>
>	UCSD Pascal (aka the Power System) for the Atari ST is available for
>about $100 from:
>
>	Pecan Software Systems
>	1410 - 39th Street
>	Brooklyn  NY  11218
>	(718) 851-3100

[Garf!]

Don't even try to use Pecan packages.  They have the worst user
interface that I have see [on any machine].

Aside from that, there is _NO_ support for TOS files or file structure.

Aside from that, it took me 2 months to get a glimmer of how their
user interface was supposed to operate.  After I figured it out, I
wished I hadn't wasted the time.

I don't know what the benchmarks say, but I know that I couldn't stand
programming in their language.

If you're really stuck on pascal, you might try Modula-2 from TDI.

It is a nice language, in a good implementation that is quite
comfortable to use.  Almost as good as C. [snide comment for the day]

If I can ever stomache using the package again, I will write a full
review of their "Power" system in an upcoming ST-Log.

-KurtO

{ihnp4!msudoc!koster}