[comp.lang.c] Curses! Foiled again!

PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU (Bob Babcock) (09/28/87)

>>I'm looking for ... a curses library ... for the IBM PC.

I found such a beast on a local BBS, source but no docs.  I haven't
tried it, but will send you a copy ARC'ed and uuencoded.

MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM (09/29/87)

I've been using PC Curses, and so far it's excellent.  For info, contact

		Jeff Dean
		710 Chimalus
		Palo Alto, CA  94306
		(415) 852 1225

-- mh

jeff@cdp.UUCP (09/30/87)

You might be interested in PC Curses, a shareware version of Curses
that I have been distributing and supporting.  The current version
supports Microsoft and Turbo C compilers, provides pretty much full
Sys V compatibility, and runs on most PC (and compatible) machines.
If you'd like a copy, and can't find it on your favorite BBS, send
me a 5-1/4 floppy, return mailer, label, and postage (or $5) and
I will send you a copy.  The shareware distribution includes small
and large model libraries, documentation, demo programs, etc.

Jeff Dean
710 Chimalus
Palo Alto, CA  94306

{parcvax,hplabs}!cdp!jeff
jeff@ads.arpa

nardacph@Hawaii-EMH.arpa (10/06/87)

A commercial implementation of Curses for the IBM PC family is available
from

     Aspen Scientific
     P.O. Box 72
     Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-0072
     (303) 423-8088

Prices are $119 for object code only; $289 with source code.  The package
comes with source for a screen generator called FAST, which allows you
to create data-entry screens interactively.

I have not used this package.  It was recommended by Allen Holub in his
August column in Dr. Dobbs.  His July column contained source code for
a subset of Curses, which is available in the DDJFORUM data library on
Compuserve.  I have the subset up and running after fixing a few bugs.

Charles Taylor
Navy Regional Data Automation Center
Pearl Harbor, HI 96860
NARDACPH @ HAWAII-EMH.ARPA

bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (10/08/87)

In article <9646@brl-adm.ARPA>, nardacph@Hawaii-EMH.arpa writes:

>                                It was recommended by Allen Holub in his
> August column in Dr. Dobbs.  His July column contained source code for
> a subset of Curses, which is available in the DDJFORUM data library on
> Compuserve.  I have the subset up and running after fixing a few bugs.

How about posting your bug fixes.  I typed it in but it didn't work and
there were (as always) too many things more important than trying to fix
it.

bill gunshannon

UUCP: {philabs}\		 	US SNAIL: Martin Marietta Data Systems
      {phri   } >!trotter.usma.edu!bill           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26
      {sunybcs}/			          West Point, NY  10996
RADIO:         KB3YV		        PHONE: WORK    (914)446-7747
AX.25:         KB3YV @ K3RLI	        PHONE: HOME    (914)565-5256

schwartz@gondor.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) (10/08/87)

In article <9646@brl-adm.ARPA> nardacph@Hawaii-EMH.arpa writes:
> 			His July column contained source code for
>a subset of Curses, which is available in the DDJFORUM data library on
>Compuserve.  I have the subset up and running after fixing a few bugs.

I vaguely recall seeing the source for BSD4.3 curses posted to
comp.sources.unix or some such newsgroup over the summer.  If this
is the case, wouldn't the real thing be preferable to a subset?

-- Scott Schwartz            schwartz@gondor.psu.edu

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/08/87)

The 4.3BSD curses was *not* published in comp.sources.unix.  I would
love to do so if someone could get it to me legally (well, legal for
those of you without source licenses; BBN has a couple-dozen :-).
Note that I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it hasn't been.

The old archives have a "known buggy" PD curses, and I believe John
Gilmore posted an article saying he has a copyright-free version from
Ken Arnold.

Interested parties in getting the full BSD curses available can drop me
a line for pointers to the legal parties involved...
	/r$
--
For comp.sources.unix stuff, mail to sources@uunet.uu.net.

robin@ima.ISC.COM (Robin Gyver) (10/09/87)

In article <2981@psuvax1.psu.edu> schwartz@gondor.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) writes:
<In article <9646@brl-adm.ARPA> nardacph@Hawaii-EMH.arpa writes:
<>[DDJ published source for a subset of curses]
<
<I vaguely recall seeing the source for BSD4.3 curses posted to
<comp.sources.unix or some such newsgroup over the summer.  If this
<is the case, wouldn't the real thing be preferable to a subset?

BSD4.3 curses IS a subset of REAL curses.