[comp.lang.c] SCO cc

jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) (10/06/87)

I feel a little guilty posting inquiries about the specifics of one certain
compiler to comp.lang.c but not many people seem to read comp.unix.xenix...

I am porting a bunch of code to an AT (Tandy 3000) running SCO XENIX.  I'm
doing this on the "electronic community" plan; I'm using my modem to call the
box, I've only communicated with the owner over the net, and I've never
physically seen the hardware, or the manuals for that matter.  There is no help
on-line, so I am hoping someone here might be so kind as to offer advice.

I've a number of printf(3) statements with numerous arguments.  The compiler
doesn't like these at all, claiming that it's out of heap space.

I assume there's an option to cc(1) to increase the amount of heap space.  Of
course, I could always break up the printf but I'd rather not as it works
quite nicely on other hardware.  I am using the middle memory model (-Mm) if
that's of any import.

Better than just a fix to this would be a list of the options to SCO's cc(1)
and ld(1) (I've had a couple of problems with ld(1) as well) with their default
values.

Mail directly to me or post here... whichever.

Thanks!
--
Jon Boede	...!{gatech,ihnp4,ssbn,swrinde,tness1,utanes}!petro!jrb
512/599-1847        -^^^^^^-           2555 N.E. Loop 410, #1403, 78217

jkimble@crash.CTS.COM (Jim Kimble) (10/09/87)

I...n article <461@petro.UUCP> jrb@petro.UUCP (Jon Boede) writes:
>a number of printf(3) statements with numerous arguments.  The compiler
>doesn't like these at all, claiming that it's out of heap space.
>
>I assume there's an option to cc(1) to increase the amount of heap space.  Of
>course, I could always break up the printf but I'd rather not as it works
>quite nicely on other hardware.  I am using the middle memory model (-Mm) if
>that's of any import.
>
>Better than just a fix to this would be a list of the options to SCO's cc(1)
>and ld(1) (I've had a couple of problems with ld(1) as well) with their default
I just had a similiar problem with about three million DEFINE statements
from rewriting field-edit. The problem is that you need to specify
-LARGE module. That should give you more heap space. The manual says something
to the effect that the system is running out of dynamic memory.

If things get real bad, you can specify "huge" module with the flag
-Mh.

Hope this helps

--Jim Kimble
Western Pacific Data Systems
San Diego, CA

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (10/09/87)

In article <1837@crash.CTS.COM> jkimble@crash.CTS.COM (Jim Kimble) writes:
>>I assume there's an option to cc(1) to increase the amount of heap space.  Of
>I just had a similiar problem with about three million DEFINE statements
>from rewriting field-edit. The problem is that you need to specify
>-LARGE module. That should give you more heap space. The manual says something
>to the effect that the system is running out of dynamic memory.
>
>If things get real bad, you can specify "huge" module with the flag
>-Mh.

The -LARGE switch (not present in all implementations of Xenix) invokes a
large MODEL pass of the compiler which allows multiple heap segments
during compilation.  The -LARGE switch has nothing to do with the memory
model of the program being compiled.

-Mh has nothing to do with the heap.  Hugh is a memory model that differs
from large model only in the code generated to access arrays >64K.

--
Greg Laskin
"When everybody's talking and nobody's listening, how can we decide?"