[comp.lang.c] C and Intel 386

PLei.ES@Xerox.COM (10/10/87)

We are currently working with the Intel C386 Compiler. Has anyone using
this compiler ever tried passing a far procedure as a parameter to
another routine? A far procedure is defined as one that resides in a
different segment.

Apparently there's no problem passing a normal procedure but when one is
predeclared as far, the compiler generates an error message.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

/Paul
(213)333-7985

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/11/87)

In article <9724@brl-adm.ARPA>, PLei.ES@Xerox.COM writes:

> We are currently working with the Intel C386 Compiler. Has anyone using
> this compiler ever tried passing a far procedure as a parameter to
> another routine? A far procedure is defined as one that resides in a
> different segment.

Sorry, I'm not using the Intel compiler, but other 80xx6 compilers
seem to handle this correctly only if the called function declares
the formal parameter as a pointer to far function.  (Note that this
declaration is easy to confuse with a far pointer to function.)
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.