[comp.lang.c] -> Softbound versus Hardbound Manuals

RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (10/09/87)

Hello all,

        The issue of the aggravating manuals has gone on for some time,
and I'd just like say my two cents worth.

        First, the argument that hardbound manuals are easy to pirate
does not hold water when one considers that Xerox-proof paper and
ink are readily available, I believe, at reasonable prices.

        Second, someone mentioned that hardbound manuals are more
expensive because the binding process cannot be automated; well, I don't
see how this would cause problems if manuals are shipped a la DEC: they
provide a 3-ring binder and pages separately, with the pages in a
plastic sealwrap.  Just tear of the wrap, put the pages in the binder
and voila! you have a hardbound manual -- or at least something close to
it.  I don't see any how manufacturing these 'page-packs' would be any
more difficult to automate than manufacturing softbound manuals.

Respectfully,

--------------------------------

Rahul Mangaldas (rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet)
Box 1311, Clark University
950 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01610-1477

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (10/13/87)

In article <9708@brl-adm.ARPA> RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
>does not hold water when one considers that Xerox-proof paper and
>ink are readily available, I believe, at reasonable prices.

Xerox proof paper is dark red in colour.  Yes, it is nearly impossible
to photocopy it (Xerox or otherwise), but is also nearly impossible to
read it.