[comp.lang.c] so-called MAJOR ANSI C FLAW

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (10/17/87)

In article <123@sdeggo.UUCP> dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
>I'm not in favor of this 6 character external limit.  It may be optional,

It is not *optional*.  It is a *minimum*.  There are a number of
minimums in the draft, such as the minimum maximum source input
line length (509 characters) or 15 nesting levels of control
structures.  There is nothing that prevents one from allowing
more characters, or longer source lines, or deeper `if' nesting.

>but it seems silly to have people saying "Well, our compiler is compliant
>except that it produces 32 byte external names."

DEC would not say that, but rather: `Our compiler is compliant,
and in addition, provides 31 character externals, up to 65536
case statements per switch, and ... .'