[comp.lang.c] Misconceptions re ansi c flaw

daveb@geac.UUCP (10/19/87)

In article <31140@sun.uucp> guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>Once more: the adoption of the ANSI C standard will not force ANY C
>implementations to limit themselves to 6-character one-case external names.
>Anybody out there who still believes this should stop doing so.
>	Guy Harris
>	{ihnp4, decvax, seismo, decwrl, ...}!sun!guy
>	guy@sun.com

  I'd like to emphasize what Guy just said, and add my own comment
to the effect that linkers can and have been extended transparently
to all programs __except__ those actually calling
restricted-name-length fortran subroutines/functions.
  One of the disfeatures of a news system using asnychrony and
flooding is that misconceptions sometimes propagate faster than
valid data.

 --dave (sigh) c-b

ps: Last week I posted a scenario to the above discussion showing
how a certain large, stingy company upgraded their linkers.  If it
didn't reach your site, I'd appreciate hearing from you by mail.  I
live near a news-eating black hole, you see...
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its