[comp.lang.c] A good 'C' Book

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (09/10/87)

Can anyone recommend to me a good "C" book? I would like it to be tutorial in
nature with lots of examples. Is there any book that you have used and
really like? (no K & R please.........)
Any response would be appreciated.
    Aron_fingers_nelson@cup.portal.com

las@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) (09/11/87)

Especially if your working with UNIX you want Topic in C Programming
by Kochan & Wood (Hayden 1987) $24.95.  Also useful is Solutions in C
by Jaeschke (Addison-Wesley 1986) $17.95.

==larry

---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        UUCP: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48823                 Compuserve: 70277, 3677

BBS: lunapark 1200/2400 8-1-N  24hrs 7 days a week  (517) 337-3844 login: bbs

henderso@uoregon.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) (09/11/87)

In article <693@cup.portal.com> Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com writes:
>Can anyone recommend to me a good "C" book?
>    Aron_fingers_nelson@cup.portal.com
I have recently found an excellent book on C,
"C: A Reference Manual" by Samuel P. Harbison and Guy L. Steele Jr.,
Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-109810-1
It includes information of the draft ANSI standards. In particular the
exposition of the library routines (essential to using C) is
useful. Throughout there are also good details on possible portability
problems of code. Not really a tutorial style, but still very useful to
the beginner and expert.
--
Mark C. Henderson
Dept. of Mathematics, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1222

CSNet:	henderso@uoregon.csnet
ARPA:	henderso%uoregon@relay.cs.net
UUCP: 	{allegra,cae780,cbosgd,decvax,gatech,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax,
	   watmath,uw-beaver}!tektronix!uoregon!henderso
        {seismo!cmcl2,decwrl!microsoft,hplabs}!hp-pcd!uoregon
	bellcore!ogcvax!uoregon!henderso

ptl@tc.fluke.COM (Mike Andrews) (09/14/87)

Hi,

Two books I especially have found helpful are:

"A Book on C", by Al Kelley and Ira Pohl, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing
	Company, 1984
	- very thorough, lots of good examples

"The C Programmer's Handbook", by Thom Hogan, Brady Communications
	Company, 1984
	- good resource book, like a C `dictionary', has a few mistakes in it

Keep K&R around though, you'll need it for those tricky questions.  You'll
become very familiar with page 49 :-)

All the best,

Mike Andrews (PTL)
--
new address: ptl@tc.fluke.COM --- John Fluke Manufacturing Co., Everett, WA
or try ARPA: fluke!ptl@uw-beaver.ARPA

gdelong@cvbnet.UUCP (Gary Delong) (09/21/87)

In article <693@cup.portal.com>, Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com writes:
> Can anyone recommend to me a good "C" book? I would like it to be tutorial in
> nature with lots of examples. Is there any book that you have used and
> really like? (no K & R please.........)

I was going to e-mail this, but thought others might be interested.

I found "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan & Dennis M. Ritchie
to be very good.  It's only 200+ pages, but starts out assumeing very little
to no privious exposure to the language.

It's in the Prentice-Hall Software Series and I found it in a college
book store.

--
   _____
  /  \    /   All spelling errors        |       Gary A. Delong, N1BIP
  |   \  /    intentional for testing    |       linus!raybed2!cvbnet!gdelong
  \____\/     rn spellcorrector v1.02A.  |       (617) 275-1800 x5232

ZSR@PSUVM.BITNET (09/25/87)

...Sorry if this is redundant.  I'm replying without reading the other
500 or so entries...

The best C Language book that I've seen to date is :'C Primer Plus' by the
Waite Group (Michael Waite, Stephen Prata, and someone whose name I forget
at the moment).  I simply can't slobber enough over how well-written and
*fun* to read this book is.

Christopher Johnson
ZSR @ PSUVM.bitnet
CDJ @ PSUECL

jjboritz@watcgl.UUCP (09/28/87)

Probably one of the best C books ever written that ranks up there with good
ole K & R (Kernighan & Ritchie for all you novices) is

	C: A Reference Manual
	Harbison, Samuel P. &
	Steele, Guy L.

	published by Prentice-Hall

Be warned, this is not a book for beginners.  It is one of the few books that
discusses peculiarities of different C compilers.  I doubt, however, that
either MSC or Turbo C is mentioned as this book deals more with UNIX C.

A good beginners book on C is

	A Book on C

Sorry I can't remember the authors.  This book is designed to teach C.  It
starts with the basics and moves on up to how to manipulate complex data
structures in C.  Very good to learn on (K & R is not a book that is well
suited the the beginner.)

	--Jim Boritz
	--...watmath!watcgl!jjboritz

Aron_Fingers_Nelson@cup.portal.com (10/23/87)

Thanks all for the suggestions on what 'C' book to buy.
  These are the books that were suggested.

   C by Dissection

   A Book on C

   "Programming in C"
   by Stephen G Kochan
   from Hayden Book Company.

   Kochan 'Programming in C' put out by H.W. Sams (same?)

   Programming In C
   Larry Miller and Alex Quilici
   John Wiley and Sons, 1986

   The C Programming Tutor" by Leon A. Wortman and Thomas O.
   Sidebottom, Prentice-Hall

   A C Reference Manual" by Harbison and Steele.

   Miller, Lawrence & Alexander Quilici, "C Programming Language"
   John Wiley & Sons, 1987.

   N. Gehani : "Advanced C: Food for the educated palate",
     Computer Science Press, 1985

   "A Best  of C", by Kelly and Pohl

    C as a Second Language (for Native Speakers of Pascal)
    by Addison-Wesley

    Harbison & Steele "good reference manual"
    by Prentice Hall (not a text)

    Advanced introduction to C by Gehani

thanks again.

aron_fingers_nelson@cup.portal.com

**Note**  This list does NOT include book suggestions posted on the net,
just to me.