[comp.lang.c] C execution profiler

sivagnan@excell.colostate.edu (Vasanthan S. Dasan) (10/26/87)

Does anyone know of any C execution profiler similar to "pxp".
What I need is a graphical representation of the flow of the
program, and an execution history.

 Vasanthan
csnet: sivagnan@colostate.edu
bitnet: VASA@CSUGREEN

In article <324@excell.colostate.edu> sivagnan@excell.colostate.edu (Vasanthan S. Dasan) writes:
>Does anyone know of any C execution profiler similar to "pxp".
>What I need is a graphical representation of the flow of the
>program, and an execution history.

Generally, UNIX systems provide a "cc -p" option that will produce an
execution profile data file, which can then be displayed with the
"prof" utility.  Some versions of "prof" support graphic output,
usually standard UNIX plot(4) format, and sometimes there is a "gprof"
utility.  Check your local manual.  (By the way, the permuted index
should have found "prof" for you.)

For execution history, I usually use "ctrace".  Unfortunately
many Berkeley-based UNIXes don't supply it..