[comp.lang.c] Intel 8086 C Cross Compiler Wanted

djh@cci632.UUCP (10/29/87)

We are in need of Intel 8086 family Cross Development Tools. The package
should include C compiler, assembler, linker, librarian, hex file generator,
and possibly debugger. The package must run under 4.3BSD Unix on a VAX 11/780
or preferably a CCI 632/Harris HCX-7/Sperry 7000. All vendor/product info as
well as personal experience/preference is welcome.

Dan Hazekamp
CCI Communcations Systems Division
Rochester, NY
rutgers!rochester!cci632!djh

martillo@husc11.HARVARD.EDU (Yakim Martillo) (11/03/87)

In article <2104@cci632.UUCP> djh@cci632.UUCP (Daniel J. Hazekamp) writes:
>We are in need of Intel 8086 family Cross Development Tools. The package
>should include C compiler, assembler, linker, librarian, hex file generator,
>and possibly debugger. The package must run under 4.3BSD Unix on a VAX 11/780
>or preferably a CCI 632/Harris HCX-7/Sperry 7000. All vendor/product info as
>well as personal experience/preference is welcome.

The MIT AI Lab has the Terman C compiler for the 8088/8086 which runs
under 4.* Unix.  Bell Labs has the Basic 16 tools which run under sys
5.*.  Given the availability of fairly good compilers MSC and TurboC
which run directly on the PCs, cross compiling does not seem to be the
best way to do development.

rick@pcrat.UUCP (rick) (11/04/87)

In article <3095@husc6.UUCP> martillo@husc11.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) writes:
>In article <2104@cci632.UUCP> djh@cci632.UUCP (Daniel J. Hazekamp) writes:
>>We are in need of Intel 8086 family Cross Development Tools. The package
>>should include C compiler, assembler, linker, librarian, hex file generator,
>>and possibly debugger. The package must run under 4.3BSD Unix on a VAX 11/780
>
>The MIT AI Lab has the Terman C compiler for the 8088/8086 which runs
>under 4.* Unix.  Bell Labs has the Basic 16 tools which run under sys
>5.*.  Given the availability of fairly good compilers MSC and TurboC
>which run directly on the PCs, cross compiling does not seem to be the
>best way to do development.

OASYS (Waltham, MA) has ports of Microsoft C version 5.0 for Sun, Apollo,
VAX/VMS, and VAX/Ultrix.  They have the exclusive contract to provide
ports of the Microsoft C Cross Development System.  I doubt you could
find a better solution.  They seem willing to do other ports, and
the price for a new port is supposed to be around $15,000.  The number
is (617) 890-7889.

For my money, I'd much rather develop software on a large machine,
where it's easy to share files with other developers, and there's
somebody who is paid to make sure that the files get backed up.

--
	Rick Richardson, President, PC Research, Inc.
(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR   (201) 834-1378 (voice, days)