[comp.lang.c] Commas

fbaube@note.nsf.GOV (Fred Baube) (11/04/87)

I have the new US Snooze & World Distort, and on p.66
is an IBM ad about voice recognition.  The screen
show "Testing one, two, three", complete with commas!
Does anyone know how they do that?

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (11/05/87)

This isn't a C issue.  I am redirecting to comp.misc.

In article <10138@brl-adm.ARPA> fbaube@note.nsf.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>I have the new US Snooze & World Distort, and on p.66 is an IBM ad about
>voice recognition.  The screen show "Testing one, two, three", complete with
>commas!  Does anyone know how they do that?

The most likely scenario is that they have somebody type the string, complete
with commas, at a keyboard.  Or (slightly less deceptive) they have carefully
arranged their demo so that that particular situation appears as shown,
without handling the (impossible) general case.

Evidence to the contrary, anyone?

richardh@killer.UUCP (11/07/87)

In article <10138@brl-adm.ARPA>, fbaube@note.nsf.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:

> is an IBM ad about voice recognition.  The screen
> show "Testing one, two, three", complete with commas!
> Does anyone know how they do that?

I've seen the ad in other magazines and a similar ad on TeeVee. Though I
have absolutely no information on the subject, my first reaction was to
recall Clarke's law, 2nd variation:

	"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
	 from a rigged demo."

This doesn't have anything to do with C, so please send follow-ups to
the appropriate group.

richard hargrove		       Unix: the best adventure game around...
...!ihnp4!killer!richardh