[comp.lang.c] Ms C 5.0

richw@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rich Wagenknecht) (11/05/87)

I purchased Ms C 4.0 this summer with the understanding that
I would recieve C 5.0 and soon as it became available. I returned
the correct information to Microsoft immediately after the purchase
and eagerly awaited C 5.0. I believe this latest version of C was
going to be available on a first come first serve basis. I still
have not received a new version and am dismayed to find that I
can simply go down to a number of software sellers and purchase
it off the shelf. Have I been a victim of some marketing ploy by
Bill and his merry band of bandits? Will I ever see 5.0 before 6.0
becomes available. Is anyone else awaiting their update?

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (11/07/87)

In article <3028@rosevax.Rosemount.COM> richw@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rich Wagenknecht) writes:

>I purchased Ms C 4.0 this summer with the understanding that
>I would recieve C 5.0 and soon as it became available.  ...
>  ... I still
>have not received a new version and am dismayed to find that I
>can simply go down to a number of software sellers and purchase
>it off the shelf.

Someone I know who ordered version 5.0 as you did just got it
yesterday (11/6/87).

What you have experienced is another example of Microsoft's arrogant
and condescending attitude towards its customers.  Unless you are
purchasing more than 100 or so units of its products, Microsoft tends
to treat you like dirt.  The software sellers who have C 5.0 on their
shelves obviously are bigger customers than you.

Microsoft does have a fairly extensive Customer Support department,
but if you're an advanced user and are looking for help beyond that
needed by a novice user, you are likely to come up against a brick
wall.

I have a number of personal experiences over the years that support
these assertions.

I am a software consultant and I advise my clients not to buy Microsoft
products.  I'm proud to say that I cost Microsoft at least 150 sales
at a company at which I was consulting last year.  Until Microsoft improves
its snotty attitude towards its customers, I will continue to give the
following advice:

	BOYCOTT MICROSOFT PRODUCTS!

This is only my personal opinion, and it doesn't necessarily reflect
the policy of anyone who hires me or the company through which I am
accessing the net.

--
Lloyd Zusman, Master Byte Software, Los Gatos, California
"We take things well in hand."

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) (11/10/87)

In article <148@fxgrp.UUCP>, ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) writes:

------------
| Microsoft does have a fairly extensive Customer Support department,
| but if you're an advanced user and are looking for help beyond that
| needed by a novice user, you are likely to come up against a brick
| wall.
------------

Yeah. This is typical of software companies, and is a fairly
brain damaged policy if you ask me. I think you should treat
everyone reasonably. You never know who you are dealing with,
and poor customer relations will always, repeat always run
a business into the ground.

------------
| I am a software consultant and I advise my clients not to buy Microsoft
| products.  I'm proud to say that I cost Microsoft at least 150 sales
| at a company at which I was consulting last year.
-----------

Yep. And I won't buy them either for the same reasons you cite.
Now I'm not clairvoyant, but I'd guess 1) Most of the enthusiastic
key people have by now left Microsoft and 2) They are getting greedy.
Expect a Waterloo with OS/2. (BTW, I heard the latest version of
the MS Fortran compiler had an inordinate number of bugs. Can
anyone substantiate this?)

Let's see, that'd be 300 units between you and me. 300 * 100 = $30,000
that Microsoft didn't see last year just because of you and me.
Are you listening, Mr. Gates?

Email to unix-at-request@uwspan with questions about the newsgroup unix-at,
otherwise mail to unix-at@uwspan with a Subject containing one of:
	    386 286 Bug Source Merge or "Send Buglist"
(Bangpath: rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!unix-at & rutgers!uwvax!uwspan!unix-at-request)