[net.sf-lovers] ROTJ

fred.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (12/10/82)

From:      Fred Blonder <fred.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>

From: CAIN@MIT-AI

	Why shouldn't Obi be corporeal? ROTJ chronolgically comes
	BEFORE Star Wars (or A New Hope, as you like), and thus has not
	yet been killed.

	      Jonathan Levine

Nope. ``A New Hope'' is episode #4, ``The Empire Strikes Back'' is
episode #5 and ``Revenge of the Jedi'' is episode #6. The episodes
released after #6 are to be #'s 1, 2, 3, 7, 8 then 9.

faunt (01/01/83)

Who is listening out there?  My friends at the Other Change of Hobbit
in Berkeley received, yesterday morning, new promotional material
on "The RETURN of the Jedi"!!  Maybe Jedi DON'T get revenge.
			Doug Faunt  <....!hplabs!faunt>

willy (02/23/83)

According to the STAR WARS Fan Club, of which my son is a member,
one of the working titles was BLUE HARVEST, not BLUE MOON.
They're offering promotional posters with the REVENGE title.
(Now you can own the poster that is already a collector's item!)

urban (05/06/83)

   As I sit here, it's less than three weeks until the
opening of Return of the Jedi.  Comic books, novelizations,
press previews, and the like will all be appearing between
now and then.  So, a reminder:
   PLEASE have the courtesy and common sense to restrain
yourself when you learn one of the long-awaited `answers'
in the Star Wars trilogy.  I will personally strangle the
first sender of any message that looks like

	Subject: RotJ

	I just saw a preview last night.  Boy, was I
	surprised to find out that the cantina bartender
	was the `other'...

or the like. (Ask someone who knows me.  I'm big and mean
and willing to travel.)  At least put *SPOILER* in the Subject
field or something.  If the cantina bartender turns out to
be the 'other', by the way, I'll cheerfully strangle myself.
   We might also consider creating a temporary group
net.sf-lovers.rotj for the dual purpose of mitigating the
amount of trash that non-fans of the films have to wade
through, and so that people who haven't seen the film yet
can hold off before reading.

	Mike

hxe (05/10/83)

RE: Not Spoiling The New Star Wars Film

Hear! Hear!  Mike (who is "big and mean and willing to travel"), I
will pay your air fare!

P.S.  I just heard rumors that Tony Perkins is his own mother in
      Star Wars IV - Yoda meets the Psycho.  Should I have put
      "spoiler" in the title?

ignatz (05/12/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/7/83; site ihuxx.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 21:12:38 EDT
Organization:BTL Naperville, Il.

Ok, guys...I heard one of the ultimate spoilers this Monday, when a local
newscaster on WLS FM in Chicago announced, as part of his 6:30 AM newscast,
all of the salient plot kicks of RotJ!  I mean like soap opera update time--
who did what to whom, when, why, and where.  Sheesh!

					Dave Ihnat
					ihuxx!Ignatz

hal (05/13/83)

There is now apparently a net.movies.sw group to which all the Star Wars
articles should be sent.  With luck, this will keep us from having to
waste time and hot air debating whether there is too much Star Wars stuff
in other news groups.

Hal

KATZ%USC-ISIF@sri-unix.UUCP (05/26/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Wed, 25-May-83 17:12:00 EDT

From:  Alan R. Katz <KATZ@USC-ISIF>

Just saw Jedi this morning, and it was pretty good.  However, the
cute furry creatures were a direct steal from H Beam Piper's
Little Fuzzies! (Great Books to read, by the way)

Also,  I would say the movie required a much greater willfull suspension
of belief than even the other Star Wars movies.  Still alot of fun
to watch, though.

			Alan (Katz@usc-isif)

-------

FIRST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (05/26/83)

From:  Michael First <FIRST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

1) SF-LOVERS was RIGHT!!  Back about 2 years ago, a super spoiler
message appeared on SF-LOVERS from someone who claimed that
a friend who worked at Lucasfilm got to see the
script for RotJ, and leaked that Leia and Luke wre in fact
siblings!
2) I enjoyed the film but I was somewhat disappointed
about several aspects.  I claim that of the 3 films, ESB was
the most innovative and exciting.  RotJ was very much a rehash
of ESB with respect to ideas and technique.  It seemed that
there were very few novel sets (in fact, most of the
sets seemed to be leftovers from the previous two films),
few new gadgets, and very little new pure Sci-Fi ideas.
The only "new" things were the creatures which were done at least
as imaginatively in "Dark Crystal".  The battle scenes also
were very similar to those in the previous films.  In fact, the
primary interesting thing was the plot development, which was
foreshadowed in ESB.  With the exception
of the major plot points concerning Darth and Luke, there
was little else suspenseful in RotJ--everything else was
extremely predicatable--i.e. the Death Star really being
fully operational, etc.

3) The direction in this film was also lacking; battle scenes
seems overly confused on the screen, and an inordinate amount
of time was spent showing the muppets dancing.

4) Finally,it seems
unlikely that Darth could have killed the emperor with such ease.  I mean,
this guy is supposed to be the most powerful user of the Dark Side,
and Darth just tossed him down the shaft to his death.  It is always
disappointing to suspend one's disbelief for the magic of a story
only to have the plot resolved in such an unsatisfying way.

5)  Well, I still enjoyed the film but I don't find myself caring
very much when SW part I hits the screen.

--Michael (FIRST@SUMEX-AIM)
-------

norskog@fortune.UUCP (05/28/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-156500:fortune:9900009:000:486
fortune!norskog    May 27 16:17:00 1983

No, the little teddy bears are not steals from "Little Fuzzy",
they are much more from "Earthman's Burden" by Gordon Dickson
& Poul Andersen.  (A much better story than either fuzzy or rotj!)

In clarification of that last remark, I will only say that
white teenagers pay Hollywood's bills, and thay they would choke
on anything morally complex.

				Lance Norskog
				Fortune Systems
				megatest!fortune!norskog
				hpda!fortune!norskog
				harpo!...
				sri-unix!...
				amd70!...

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (05/31/83)

If the Ewoks were Hokas, all the Rebels need to do is show them a couple of
battle scenes (or preferably Star Wars itself) and the Empire's days are
numbered.

John R Blaker
(...!fortune!wdl1!jrb)
(jrb @ FORD-WDL1)

JDM%SU-AI@sri-unix.UUCP (06/02/83)

From:  Jock Mackinlay <JDM@SU-AI>

Who says that Vader killed the Emperor?  All he did was throw him off
the deck - getting him out of the way for the moment.  We might see him
in one of the later episodes.  And it wasn't even easy since Vader got
killed as a result.

Jock Mackinlay

bmcjmp@burdvax.UUCP (06/02/83)

Unfortunately, even though a special newsgroup has been created for the Star
Wars discussion topic, not all sites support the new newsgroup. Please be
tolerant of those who do not have access to the net.movies.sw group, and be
thankful that MOST of the Jedi stuff is confined to its own group. (This is
especially for you, Tim Maroney! I'm tired of your complaining. Just because
YOU don't think that Star Wars stuff isn't SF doesn't mean it really isn't.
And remember, you do have an "n" key. Nobody forces you to read anything!!!!)

Barb Puder, burdvax!bmcjmp (a site that does support net.movies.sw)

rtf@ihuxw.UUCP (06/03/83)

		Give 'em hell Barb!

bill@utastro.UUCP (06/26/83)

<FLAME ON>

Please post your ROTJ comments to net.movies.sw, which
has been expressly created for the purpose.  I know that lots of
you have seen the movie, but there are still some of us out
there who have not, and we don't appreciate accidentally finding
out things about the movie before we see it.  Sometimes it is
difficult to distinguish between a spoiler and a non-spoiler from the
title, so I have made a practice of avoiding all identified articles
on ROTJ.  Unfortunately, not everyone titles their articles clearly
enough for this to work.

If you *must* share your wisdom with this group, *please*
use ROTJ in the title of your contribution so that people
like me can skip it.

<FLAME OFF>

Thanks for your consideration.  I really don't want to have to
unsubscribe to this group.

		Bill Jefferys
		Astronomy Dept
		University of Texas
		Austin TX 78712

		(...ucbvax!nbires!ut-ngp!utastro!bill)
		(...decvax!eagle!ut-ngp!utastro!bill)
		(   utastro!bill@utexas-11)

Anonymous@inmet.UUCP (07/01/83)

#R:utastro:-43400:inmet:8100006:000:140
inmet!Anonymous    Jun 30 10:46:00 1983

Some sites don't GET net.movies.sw, so holster your flame-thrower.
We don't have any choice but to but Star Wars discussion in net.movies.

nrh@inmet.UUCP (07/01/83)

#R:utastro:-43400:inmet:8100007:000:137
inmet!nrh    Jun 30 19:20:00 1983

One other choice -- Label the spoilers clearly.
Yet another choice -- DON'T DISCUSS IT (hah!) because such discussions
tend to be inane.