[comp.lang.c] Unix and AT&T's lawyers

ccplumb@watmath.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <1953@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <8888@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) signs:
>>Those who do not understand Unix     |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>                             ^^^^
>>are condemned to reinvent it.        | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry
>
>That's THE UNIX* OPERATING SYSTEM, Buster!
>
>* Registered Trademark of AT&T

I, for one, think Unix falls into the same category as Kleenex,
Aspirin, and Xerox - a registered trademark, but too common to bother
with the footnotes.  Everyone has seen this fact in all the hardcopy
manuals quite often enough that to know it's not really a generic
name, but wants to use it as one.

Should we have GNARTOATT instead of GNU???
--
	-Colin (watmath!ccplumb)

Zippy says:
CONGRATULATIONS!  Now should I make thinly veiled comments about
 DIGNITY, self-esteem and finding TRUE FUN in your RIGHT VENTRICLE??

lewisd@homxc.UUCP (David Lewis) (11/17/87)

In article <15518@watmath.waterloo.edu>, ccplumb@watmath.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) writes:
> In article <1953@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> >In article <8888@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) signs:
> >>Those who do not understand Unix     |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> >                             ^^^^
> >>are condemned to reinvent it.        | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry
> >
> >That's THE UNIX* OPERATING SYSTEM, Buster!
> >
> >* Registered Trademark of AT&T
>
> I, for one, think Unix falls into the same category as Kleenex,
> Aspirin, and Xerox - a registered trademark, but too common to bother
> with the footnotes.

I don't think so. Have you yet seen "Unix" in lower case?
--

David B. Lewis    {ihnp4,allegra,ulysses}!homxc!lewisd
201-615-5306 EDT

riddle@woton.UUCP (11/18/87)

> > I, for one, think Unix falls into the same category as Kleenex,
> > Aspirin, and Xerox - a registered trademark, but too common to bother
> > with the footnotes.
>
> I don't think so. Have you yet seen "Unix" in lower case?

Here's a grep from a few days' worth of comp.unix.* articles:

   Anything that uses the unix ctime library routine is going to be in
   Most of the software was originally produced for a version 7 unix,
   Some of the PC-based unix's might be worth looking into, if we
   a real nice 68020 , 68881, unix ... well its nice. thus, as it zips along,
   is a central unix host, wjvax, that runs all the uucp and
   on my AT&T unix-pc.  I had meant to use -O to invoke the optimizer.
   unix    from "multics" - similar but unified
   unix compatible XBBS
   unix four people managed to destroy things within  the  same  day
   unix manuals list it as "become SuperUser"
   values will speed up the unix clock, higher values slow
   well defined times.  Too bad unix doesn't handle generations in
   where cryptic unix command names came from?  I've never seen a unix

[By the way, what say we move this discussion to misc.legal?]

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <2165@homxc.UUCP> lewisd@homxc.UUCP (David Lewis) writes:
>I don't think so. Have you yet seen "Unix" in lower case?

cd /; ls

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (11/24/87)

> In article <2165@homxc.UUCP> lewisd@homxc.UUCP (David Lewis) writes:
> >I don't think so. Have you yet seen "Unix" in lower case?
>
> cd /; ls

Hmmm... I tried that on my systems and got:

    bin/	  etc/		lib/	       mnt/	    usr/
    dev/	  hp-ux		lost+found     tmp/

:-)

Dave Decot