[comp.lang.c] MSC 5.0 License Agreement

jnj@mibte.UUCP (07/09/87)

	Does anyone know if the 5.0 license agreement will be the same as
4.0?  That is, does Microsoft demand that you display THEIR company name
on the screen everytime YOUR program is run?
	I sincerely hope not, and now would be a good time for them to
discontinue this practice.  I've talked to several people at microsoft and
can't convince them that this practice is not in their best interest.  I
believe in giving proper credit when it is due, but why they feel their
compiler/linker is the soul of the program is beyond me.  The programs we
develop don't even display our OWN company name, and I'm unaware of other
software companies that expect this behavior.
	I really have a hard time recommending any product that uses this
forced advertising.  Any comments?
					Jim Jackson (Michigan Bell) mibte!jnj

P.S. You DID read the license before you opened the shrink-wrap, didn't you?

Disclaimer: This message was generated on an IBM-AT, powered by Detroit
	Edison, using Wordstar 4.0, on 3M diskettes.

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (07/10/87)

In article <2262@mibte.UUCP> jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson) writes:
>	Does anyone know if the 5.0 license agreement will be the same as
>4.0?  That is, does Microsoft demand that you display THEIR company name
>on the screen everytime YOUR program is run?
>	I really have a hard time recommending any product that uses this
>forced advertising.  Any comments?
>					Jim Jackson (Michigan Bell) mibte!jnj
>P.S. You DID read the license before you opened the shrink-wrap, didn't you?

My question is:  Why not modify the license agreement before opening
the floppy seals?  Are my changes any less legal/valid than their
(Microsoft's) original stuff?  What if I write in: "By accepting my
money, Microsoft agrees to be bound by my changes in, and additions
to this license agreement.", then strike out the part about including
their copyright?

... These agreements are all just so much crap anyway, aren't they? ...

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson) (11/30/87)

Regarding item #2 on the MICROSOFT COMPILER LICENSE:

2. DISTRIBUTION OF RUNTIME MODULES.  Microsoft grants to you a royalty-free
right to reproduce and distribute the runtime modules of the COMPILER provided
that you: (a) ... (b) do not use Microsoft's name, logo, or trademarks to
market your software product; (c) include Microsoft's copyright notice for the
COMPILER on your product label and as part of the sign-on message for your
software product; and (d) ....  The "runtime modules" are those files in the
COMPILER that are identified in the documentation as required as required
during execution of your compiled programs.  The runtime modules are limited
to runtime files, install files, and ISAM and REBUILD files.

	Why, oh why would I want to display Microsoft's copyright notice on
a sign-on message for MY software product (c)???  And if I did, isn't this a
form of advertising/marketing that is expressly forbidden in (b)?

	I really have a problem with (c).  Why should Microsoft get top billing
when we programmers do all the work?  Or am I reading too much into this?

DISCLAIMER:  This message was created on 3M diskettes by an IBM/AT powered by
		Detroit Edison.

			Jim Jackson
			{gamma|ihnp4}!mibte!jnj

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/01/87)

In article <2412@mibte.UUCP> jnj@mibte.UUCP (Jim Jackson) writes:
>Regarding item #2 on the MICROSOFT COMPILER LICENSE:
>
>2. DISTRIBUTION OF RUNTIME MODULES.

I suspect you will get a deluge of responses to this, and most of them
will be wrong.

By "runtime module" Microsoft is referring to a separate library module
that is not physically linked to your executable program.  For example,
there is a runtime module that makes compiled BASIC programs smaller.

This does not refer to typical library code linked with a C program.
There is no requirement that you mention Microsoft when you distribute
a compiled C program.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/02/87)

I saw the software licensing on a friend's copy of MSC 4.0.  I'm
surprised that it has persisted through to 5.0 since Borland in
partiular has a very liberal policy with their product.  They also
have an agreenment that can be read by a human without 6 years of
law school.  I was hoping that Borland's agreement would cause
Microsoft to update theirs to something more reasonable.

If I ever do market the software I am working on, I will not use
MSC.  I have no intention of giving a free plug to Microsoft via my
software.  I consider Mircsoft's stance akin to having Sears insist
on having "This house was nailed together with a Sears hammer"
stenciled on my front door.

I would be willing, however, to give the Microsoft compiler credit
in an appendix in the user's manual.  As a user of programs myself
I know that it is interesting to know from whence their code arose.
(Of course, if I really care, I can alway peek with debug looking
for the runtime library notice embedded in the code.)

--Bill

richw@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rich Wagenknecht) (12/03/87)

In article <803@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> If I ever do market the software I am working on, I will not use
> MSC.  I have no intention of giving a free plug to Microsoft via my
> software.  I consider Mircsoft's stance akin to having Sears insist
> on having "This house was nailed together with a Sears hammer"
> stenciled on my front door.

I really believe all of this is much ado about nothing. The legal agreement
is of course terrible to read (unless you're a laywer) but I believe its
requirements are being misinterpreted. The legal agreement on the disc
envelope is the same agreement used on all MS compilers I've seen. The
particular reference concerning the distribution of run-time modules
and the displaying of MS's name refers only to run time modules. In other
words only libraries and/or programs which are required to run your software
but are not part of the compiled code itself. The only package in my knowledge
which does this is MS QuickBASIC (note: you don't have to use this library
but it does make the size of your executable file much smaller). This
clause does not apply to C programs unless MS distributed some kind of kernel
which was required to run your code.
> --Bill

Rich W.

justin@inmet.UUCP (12/08/87)

/* Written 12:10 pm  Dec  3, 1987 by richw@rosevax.UUCP in inmet:comp.lang.c */
In article <803@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> If I ever do market the software I am working on, I will not use
> MSC.  I have no intention of giving a free plug to Microsoft via my
> software.  I consider Mircsoft's stance akin to having Sears insist
> on having "This house was nailed together with a Sears hammer"
> stenciled on my front door.

I really believe all of this is much ado about nothing.
> --Bill

Rich W.
/* End of text from inmet:comp.lang.c */

I agree. Chill out, guys! When I first started using Microsoft COBOL (God
help me) some seven years ago, we were OVERJOYED to see this notice.
All the other decent compilers that used runtime modules required
*royalties* (remember these, boys and girls?). Microsoft is allowing
you to distribute their object code, free of change, for just a credit.
This seems like a pretty good deal to me.

(Disclaimer: I have no relationship to Microsoft, other than having,
I think, been used as an inadvertant beta site for their COBOL).

Justin du Coeur in SCA, fandom,      |    Mundanely, (if you insist) Mark Waks
   or any interesting company        |                   (617) 661-1840, x4704
...{ihnp4, mirror, ima}!inmet!justin |           Intermetrics, Inc. (aka I**2)
   or justin@inmet.COM               |                     This space for rent
Disclaimer: No one knows who I am, anyway, so who am *I* to dictate policy?