[comp.lang.c] C routines needed for ISAM

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman, Master Byte Software) (12/12/87)

HELP!!  HELP!!  HELP!!

We are looking for a set of routines written exclusively in C that will
do ISAM-like file accesses.  By "ISAM" I mean "Indexed Sequential Access
Method", which in non-IBM-ese means that we want to be able to use a
string to locate information in a file that can also be read sequentially.

We could hack something out using some sort of hashing algorithm coupled
with a binary search, but we are under the gun schedule-wise and our
developers have no time to write this.

Something like "dbm" would be just fine.

There are several important criteria this package must meet:

(1) 	It must be in the public domain with C source code included.
    	We will need to make some minor hacks on it to wedge it into
    	the software we are developing, and we aren't the slightest
    	bit interested in having to deal with license agreements.

(2) 	It should be written in a fairly portable way, as it must
    	ultimately work on Sun's, HP's, microvaxes, and perhaps
    	other platforms.

(3) 	It must be available very soon (i.e., yesterday or sooner).

(4) 	It must actually work.  We'd prefer something that wasn't
    	cranked out one evening by someone who read this notice and
    	then tested it for 15 minutes before sending it to us.
    	Something that has actually been used in one or more
    	applications would be desirable.

We have very experienced, very competent C developers here, and we know
what we are asking for.  Please refrain from replying with the kind of
thing I sometimes see on the net:  "Why do you need this?  You could
do thus-and-such in a sed script [or awk script, or shell script, or
text editor, or ...] instead of writing a C program."  We must have a
C program that meets the above criteria.

You can email me at the address below.

Thank you very much in advance.

 Lloyd Zusman
 Master Byte Software
 Los Gatos, California	    	    	Internet:   fxgrp!ljz@ames.arpa
 "We take things well in hand."	    	UUCP:	    ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz

gorry@miraculix.liu.se (Goran Rydquist) (12/16/87)

In article <174@fxgrp.UUCP> fxgrp!ljz@ames.arpa (Lloyd Zusman) writes:

>We are looking for a set of routines written exclusively in C that will
>do ISAM-like file accesses.

I would be interested in recieving a copy!
gorr\/			gorry@majestix.liu.se
    /
By the way, I would also be interested in a public domain Bentley Turbo, at
most two years old, but only if it is delivered to me for free!

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (12/18/87)

In article <174@fxgrp.UUCP> fxgrp!ljz@ames.arpa (Lloyd Zusman) writes:

>We are looking for a set of routines written exclusively in C that will
>do ISAM-like file accesses.

QUE Corporation published a book entitled "C Programmer's Library"
in 1984 that contained a C implementation of an ISAM package.
They also mentioned a companion disk containing the source code
listed in the book (the book claims this source costs $124.95!).
--
--------------------"Well, it looked good when I wrote it"---------------------
 Verbal: Dave Burton                        Net: ...!ihnp4!laidbak!daveb