[comp.lang.c] turboc ega

dono@killer.UUCP (Don OConnell) (12/27/87)

>I've got both Turbo and the full MSC 5.0.  I really like Turbo's editor and
>its general speed by comparison to MSC.  I also like the in-line assembler
>(I know, I know... gross nonstandardization but if portability is an issue
>you don't use assembler code anyway).  However, in the first 30 minutes I
>discovered that Turbo doesn't like my EGA (a Mitsuba) and anything compiled
>with Turbo would crash my machine.  This includes a pre-compiled MicroEMACS
>I pulled off some d/l board that I later discovered was compiled using
>Turbo.  A friend also had similar trouble on a different EGA board.  That
>made Turbo unusable for me since my main development machine has an EGA and
>many of my clients do too.  This problem makes Turbo a poor choice
>for outside-world development.

     I also own MSC 5 compiler and Turbo C compilers as well as an ATI ega
wonder and true ega monitor. I have not seen the troubles mentioned in the
part of the letter cited. I have been using the Turbo C compiler for 2 months
and have even compiled the MicroEmacs editor and use it daily with no trouble.

     This letter is just to set the record straight on Turbo C.

Don OConnell

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (12/28/87)

*** Another Vote of Confidence for Turbo C ***

I have used it since its introduction, and one of my more major
endeavors was to use it in a cross development system for Minix.
It has been done...

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.gov
...!cmcl2!lanl!myxm

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (12/28/87)

In article <2590@killer.UUCP> dono@killer.UUCP (Don OConnell) writes:
>     I also own MSC 5 compiler and Turbo C compilers as well as an ATI ega
>wonder and true ega monitor. I have not seen the troubles mentioned in the
>part of the letter cited. I have been using the Turbo C compiler for 2 months
>and have even compiled the MicroEmacs editor and use it daily with no trouble.
>
>     This letter is just to set the record straight on Turbo C.

Thanks, I'll let my EGA know.  No, most people aren't experiencing this
Turbo/EGA problem.  I don't think that Borland would have released it
without a fair amount of in-house and field beta testing.  Nevertheless,
the problem exists with my setup (a Mitsuba SEGA + 10mHz AT clone) and with
a few other folks who have reported similar troubles.  The problem is not
the compiling (although a friend says Turbo crashes during compile on his
Leading Edge AT).  I got MicroEMACS to compile with Turbo without a hitch.
The problem is running the executable.  A few lines are displayed and the
machine goes to lunch.  Compile the same code with MS-C and it works.
I've gotten the same results with a couple of other programs I wrote and
compiled using Turbo.

The problem doesn't APPEAR to be in Turbo's display library since one of
those programs that crashes does so during a direct-to-video RAM screen
update.  The bug may indeed be in the Mitsuba board itself but I've been
running it for almost 18 months and this is the first time I've encountered
such strange behavior from it.

+ Steve Manes         Roxy Recorders, Inc.                 NYC
+ decvax!philabs!cmcl2!hombre!magpie!manes       Magpie BBS: 212-420-0527
+ uunet!iuvax!bsu-cs!zoo-hq!magpie!manes              300/1200/2400