[comp.lang.c] test version of G++, the GNU C++ compiler available.

johnl@ima.UUCP (01/01/88)

A test version of the GNU C++ Compiler is now available on
prep.ai.mit.edu in the file /u/rms/tiemann.dist-*.tar.Z where * is a
version number (e.g. 1.15.3).  There may also be diff files under
/u/rms.  It is only available in compressed format, due to a severe
space shortage on prep.

GNU C++ is not a pre-processor, but is a native-code compiler, using
the back end of GNU CC for its back end.  Currently, GNU C++ is
targeted to the SUN 3 and VAX (the same machines as GNU CC).  A source
code debugger, GDB+, is also provided in the distribution.  GDB+ is
really an extension to GDB, and allows for better control over the
source level debugging of method calls.

To get GNU C++, ftp the compressed tar file from prep.ai.mit.edu,
uncompress it, untar it, and look at the file README in the dist-g++
directory for further installation instructions.

This code is primarily intended for GNU CC gurus, since it is still
evolving rapidly, and a good understanding of GNU CC is somewhat a
prerequisite for an understanding of GNU C++.

If you are generally interested in keeping up to date on GNU C++,
please subscribe to the one of the mailing lists described below by
sending your request to the appropriate *-request address.

Note that members of bug-g++ automatically receive all info-g++
messages.  Members of these -g++ lists do not automatically receive
the -gcc lists.

The author of the G++ enhancements is Michael Tiemann
<tiemann@mcc.com>.  He receives the bug-g++ mailing list.

enjoy -len
*-REQUEST address for that list.  If you ask a list directly, you
bother several hundred people who can't help you, and waste a lot of
cycles, packets and bandwidth.  *-REQUEST is an Internet convention.
One should always try it first when requesting a mailing list.

3) A test version of GCC is available on a tape from the Free Software
Foundation.  Information on obtaining the tape and anything else about
the GNU Project is available from: gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu (aka
..!ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!gnu).

4) G++ may be added to that tape, when it's less buggy.

* bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu
** List changes and problems to: bug-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

This list distributes bug reports, fixes for bugs, and suggestions for
improvements in the GNU C++ Compiler to it's active developers.  It is
the place to report G++ bugs by all testers of G++.  The GNU C++
Compiler is still in test release, and is NOT ready for everyday use.

Always report the version number of g++, as well as the operating
system and hardware.

G++ uses the GNU C-Compiler back end, and active developers may
wish to join bug-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu as well.

Members of bug-g++ automatically receive all info-g++ messages.

* info-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu
** List changes and problems to: info-g++-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

This list reports new releases, informations about ports and proven
bug fixes to testers of the GNU C++ Compiler.

* bug-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu
** List changes and problems to: bug-gcc-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

This list distributes bug reports, fixes for bugs, and suggestions for
improvements in the GNU C Compiler to its active developers.  It is
the place to report GCC bugs by all testers of GCC.  The GNU C
Compiler still has a lot of bugs in it, and is NOT ready for everyday
use.

Always report the version number of gcc, as well as the operating
system and hardware.

Members of bug-gcc automatically receive all info-gcc messages.

* info-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu
** List changes and problems to: info-gcc-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

This list reports new releases and proven bug fixes to testers of the
GNU C Compiler.

[Note to usenet readers: if you're not on the Internet, you can't FTP and
will have to order the tape if interested.  -John]
--
Send compilers articles to ima!compilers or, in a pinch, to Levine@YALE.EDU
Plausible paths are { ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale | bbn}!ima

johnl@ima.UUCP (01/08/88)

In article <829@ima.ISC.COM> tower@bu-it.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) writes:
>A test version of the GNU C++ Compiler is now available on
>prep.ai.mit.edu in the file /u/rms/tiemann.dist-*.tar.Z where * is a
>version number (e.g. 1.15.3).

*Lots and lots* of people have been calling Karl and me and sending us
mail asking us whether and when g++ and gdb+ will be available on
osu-cis for UUCP access.

Through the benevolence of various machines around here that have been
graciously deciding to go down or act flaky this week, just to prove
to our Department that the facilities staff is really necessary and
should therefore continue to be employed here (:-), we have thus far
been unable to FTP the files from prep so that we can make them
available to the rest of the world via UUCP.

As soon as we can, the latest g++ and gdb+ will be placed on osu-cis
and an announcement will be posted to comp.sources.d.  This may happen
tomorrow or over the weekend, if our network cooperates.  Until then,
please be patient - we're trying!
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob
 soon: bob@cis.ohio-state.edu