[comp.lang.c] Turbo C--Current Version???

gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (George V. Wilder) (12/30/87)

I am now the proud owner of Turbo C, which I
received from my wife as a Christmas present.

The version number is 1.0.  Is this the current
version?  It seems that I have heard of a 1.5
version.  Anyway, I just sent in my restration card,
so I'm sure that I'll hear about any new versions.

My real question concerns patches to 1.0.  I know
that they exist.  I don't know how to get them,
or if I even need them.  In other words is there
some way to know what "patched" version (if at all)
of 1.0 that I now have?

And finally, a "technical" question, is there anyway
with Turbo C to process wildcard command line arguments
(e.g., grep pattern *.c).  I understand that MSDOS doesn't
expand command line wildcard characters.

	Thanks much in advance to anyone that replies.

	George V. Wilder
	ihnp4!ihlpf!gvw1
--
		George V. Wilder
	         ihnp4!ihlpf!gvw1

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (12/30/87)

In article <3195@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (George V. Wilder) writes:

> I am now the proud owner of Turbo C, which I received from my wife as a
> Christmas present.
>
> The version number is 1.0.  Is this the current
> version?  It seems that I have heard of a 1.5 version.

In my call for info on C compilers I found that yes, Turbo C is in version 1.5
and yes, 1.5 is shipping now.  You might want to contact Borland to avoid paying
the upgrade fee (they may also tell you about patches, etc.).

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) (12/31/87)

George V. Wilder (gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM) writes...

>And finally, a "technical" question, is there anyway
>with Turbo C to process wildcard command line arguments
>(e.g., grep pattern *.c).  I understand that MSDOS doesn't
>expand command line wildcard characters.

Turbo C (or rather MSDOS) can expand wildcard characters
by using the functions findfirst() and findnext();  Pages
87 - 89 of the reference guide give the magic incantations.

Enjoy...

        Kevin Owen
        ...hplabs!hpccc!kevino

----------

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (01/02/88)

In article <5300001@hpccc.HP.COM>, kevino@hpccc.HP.COM (Kevin Owen) writes:
> George V. Wilder (gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM) writes...
> >And finally, a "technical" question, is there anyway
> >with Turbo C to process wildcard command line arguments
> >(e.g., grep pattern *.c).  I understand that MSDOS doesn't
> >expand command line wildcard characters.
> Turbo C (or rather MSDOS) can expand wildcard characters
> by using the functions findfirst() and findnext();  Pages
> 87 - 89 of the reference guide give the magic incantations.

That's true enough if what you want to do is match wildcards to
filenames (that is, do command line filename globbing).  If you want
to do something more like 'egrep "^#define[ ]+(FOO|BAR)" *c' then may
I suggest the regular expression compiler, matcher, and substituter
package posted to comp.sources.unix as part of the Improved Egrep
distribution.  It was written by Henry Spencer @ utzoo, and does a
very nice job (thanks, Henry - it's saved me a lot of work!).  I
ported it from my 4.xBSD environment to an Atari 1040 running Mark
Williams C with about 30 seconds work - just a tiny bit of editing to
fix some #include paths.  Even the Makefile worked first time ;-)!

I would be glad to mail you or anyone else a copy on request; it's
about 38K of nicely written C, a makefile, a test routine (to make
sure your compiler didn't screw up, and as an example of how to use
it), and some doc.

--
Ross Alexander,
Athabasca University

alberta!auvax!rwa

myoung@ingr.UUCP (Mark Young) (01/05/88)

in article <1464@codas>, karthur@codas says:

> In my call for info on C compilers I found that yes, Turbo C is in version 1.5
> and yes, 1.5 is shipping now.  You might want to contact Borland to

> avoid paying the upgrade fee
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (they may also tell you about patches, etc.).
>

> Kurt Arthur
> Software Services of Florida, Inc.

WHAT?  how in the world does one avoid paying the upgrade fee ??  I'd love
a free upgrade for my virgin 1.0 turbo C with all possible bugs know to man.

say, while I'm on the subject, I don't suppose they ever fixed the integrated
environment's editor to allow rebinding of, say ^K, so we emacs users could
customize the thing to act like emacs, eh?

				may have to brush up on wordstar :-(

							...may

---
ingr!myoung!myoung@uunet.uu.net       | mark allan young          | where
{uunet,ihnp4}!ingr!myoung!myoung      | intergraph corp, cr1105   | do I
WARNING: all postings from this node  | one madison industrial pk | put the
  are monitored, so I guess I have to | huntsville, al  35807     | usual
    be responsible (hi dave...;-)     | (205) 772-6094            | disclaimer

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/06/88)

In article <1867@ingr.UUCP> myoung@ingr.UUCP (Mark Young) writes:
> in article <1464@codas>, karthur@codas says:
>>
>> In my call for info on C compilers I found that yes, Turbo C is in version 1.5
>> and yes, 1.5 is shipping now.  You might want to contact Borland to
>> avoid paying the upgrade fee
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> (they may also tell you about patches, etc.).
>>
>> Kurt Arthur
>> Software Services of Florida, Inc.
>
> WHAT?  how in the world does one avoid paying the upgrade fee ??  I'd love
> a free upgrade for my virgin 1.0 turbo C with all possible bugs know to man.

Forgive me if I was ambiguous, but the original poster reported receiving a
copy of Turbo C 1.0 for Christmas, which is definitely after the date Borland
was shipping version 1.5.  Almost all reputable software companies will provide
a free upgrade when an old version is accidentally received while a new version
is shipping.  If they would not, I would take advantage of the money-back
guarantee and return the product for a refund, and purchase another company's
compiler.

If your compiler fits this description, I'd contact Borland.

rustcat@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Vallury Prabhakar) (01/10/88)

In article <1867@ingr.UUCP> myoung@ingr.UUCP (Mark Young) writes:

(+)  say, while I'm on the subject, I don't suppose they ever fixed the
(+) integratedn environment's editor to allow rebinding of, say ^K, so we
(+) emacs users could customize the thing to act like emacs, eh?

It's been a while, but there is definitely some way in TC where you can
redefine the control key-bindings for the editor.  The installation
module, maybe.

Question:

Is there a simple way of invoking C functions/procedures in a Lisp source?
I'm working on A Sun-3 running 4.2BSD and using kcl/lucid.  I know how to
do that between f-77 and C?  Anything as easy as that?  Please reply by
e-mail.  Thank you.

							-- VP

Disclaimer: "I'm not a light-bulb joke, but I play one in life."

"Stormbringer's coming...             E-mail:   rustcat@russell.stanford.edu
 Time to die.."  				vallury@cnc-sun.stanford.edu[

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/11/88)

>In article <1867@ingr.UUCP> myoung@ingr.UUCP (Mark Young) writes:
>
>(+)  say, while I'm on the subject, I don't suppose they ever fixed the
>(+) integratedn environment's editor to allow rebinding of, say ^K, so we
>(+) emacs users could customize the thing to act like emacs, eh?

In the Turbo C "Additions & Enhancements" book that comes with 1.5:
	EDITOR KEY REASSIGNMENTS:  With TCINST, you can customize your own
	editor command keys.

	You can enter a maximum of 6 keystrokes for any given editor
	command.  The first must be non-alpha and non-punctuation.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334