[comp.lang.c] New operators

dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) (01/12/88)

Enough already!

If you have problems with == versus =, try
	#define EQ ==
This is quite obvious and not likely to confuse either the novice or
experienced programmer (like macros for IF, ENDIF, et cetera might).

Suffer through pow(x,y) notation, it's not *that* bad.  We've had to
type strcpy(s,t), strcmp(s,t), strcat(s,t), et cetera, for years.
Besides, there are real problems with defining new operators,
particularly for exponentiation.

Forget a logical exclusive-or operator.  (Really, how often would you
use one?)

Sure, we should keep these in mind for D, but let's not bog down the C
standardization process.  They just ain't C.

The opinions expressed above are mine.

jamesa%betelgeuse@Sun.COM (James D. Allen) (01/13/88)

In article <11225@brl-adm.ARPA>, dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) writes:
> Enough already!
>
> 	#define EQ ==
> Suffer through pow(x,y) notation...
> Forget a logical exclusive-or operator....

A voice in the wilderness! Mr. Sill deserves to graduate to a newsgroup
with a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

(The smart Las Vegas money, however, is still betting on at least 10
more postings on each "topic".)

In article <11225@brl-adm.ARPA> dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) writes:
>Suffer through pow(x,y) notation, it's not *that* bad.

True, but having the operation done by log & exp with doubles when
much more efficient methods could have been used, *is* bad.

>Besides, there are real problems with defining new operators,

That's for sure.  There aren't many symbols left!