[comp.lang.c] Free Turbo C upgrade

kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) (01/11/88)

In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:

>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
>Borland seems to be continuing its tradition of being a terrible
>shipper.  Always late, they are.

This really seems a little odd, I went out to the local computer store a
little more than a week ago and bought a couple of TurboC 1.5.

I must say that I have been very happy with the purchase.  The compiler
seems very complete ( I have not had to change any code that I have ported
from UNIX or Aztec C, except for the graphics, and terminal considerations).
As far ass the added feature, I am really glad that the editor keys are
definable, I don't think I could stand Wordstar style (5 years of once a
month use on my old CPM system, and I still have to look at a cheat sheet ).
Also the addition of the graphics library has saved me a great deal of time
writing these functions.

All in all I am satisfied...

-kdb
--
Kevin D. Bond
kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu		...!mcnc!{katylied,ncsuvx}!kdb

enped@conexch.UUCP (Eric Pederson) (01/15/88)

In article <1370@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) writes:
>In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:
>>
>>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
>>Borland seems to be continuing its tradition of being a terrible
>>shipper.  Always late, they are.
>
>This really seems a little odd, I went out to the local computer store a
>little more than a week ago and bought a couple of TurboC 1.5.
>
>I must say that I have been very happy with the purchase.

Borland's shipping is indeed wierd.  I ordered my Turbo Pascal 4.0 upgrade
a week before my upgrade to C 1.5, and I got my 1.5 shipment about a week
ago (Jan 7).  I still haven't seen or heard from my Pascal compiler.

I'm pleased, in theory, with the additions to C in 1.5, but unfortunately
after I removed 1.0 and put in 1.5 I found one of my major applications
that I've been working on lately wouldn't run correctly.  Instead of
trying to figure out what the heck is wrong (nothing had changed to break
my code in the new version according to the book, and I always re-compile
and run this code on Sys V) I switched back to 1.0.  I kept grep however!

If there's any known bugs floating around (and fixes!) please let me know.

---
Eric Pederson
HBUHSD 714 964 3339