[comp.lang.c] Free Turbo C upgrade clarification

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/06/88)

Sorry I don't have a reference included, but....

The original question (not posted by me) was:

	what is the current release of Borland's Turbo C?

The originator stated he had received Turbo 1.0 as a Christmas present and had
heard rumors 1.5 was shipping.

My response:

	Yes, Turbo 1.5 is presently shipping, and the poster should contact
        Borland to avoid paying the upgrade fee.

A third party then posted:

	How can I get a free upgrade?

My response to this:

	If you have received an older version of a software package during
	the time the company is shipping a new version, MOST reputable com-
	panies will give you a free upgrade.  If in this case Borland would
	not, I would take advantage of the money back guarantee to retrieve
	my cash, and then buy another company's compiler.

I'm sorry I don't have the original postings, but our computer trashed all of
the postings on it when a maintenance action occurred.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (01/07/88)

>The original question (not posted by me) was:
>	what is the current release of Borland's Turbo C?
>
>The originator stated he had received Turbo 1.0 as a Christmas present and had
>heard rumors 1.5 was shipping.

Just to set the record straight, Turbo C 1.5 is indeed shipping, but
is NOT a free upgrade :-(   There have been advertisements in most
computer magazines, and the upgrade costs $33.50 + $5.00 S&H.

You can call a toll-free number: (800) 543-7543:  They require the
serial number on the master disk, and credit card.  Or you can use
mail order, using the coupon in the ad.  The ad also says that the
offer expires June 30, 1988.

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (01/07/88)

In article <4549@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:

>>The original question (not posted by me) was:
>>	what is the current release of Borland's Turbo C?
>>
>>The originator stated he had received Turbo 1.0 as a Christmas present and had
>>heard rumors 1.5 was shipping.
>
> Just to set the record straight, Turbo C 1.5 is indeed shipping, but
> is NOT a free upgrade :-(   There have been advertisements in most
> computer magazines, and the upgrade costs $33.50 + $5.00 S&H.
>
> You can call a toll-free number: (800) 543-7543:  They require the
> serial number on the master disk, and credit card.  Or you can use
> mail order, using the coupon in the ad.  The ad also says that the
> offer expires June 30, 1988.

To all (and I hope I explain it right THIS TIME!):

1.  I _KNOW_ TC has an upgrade fee.
       ^^^^

2.  The original poster said he had received TC 1.0 as a Christmas present
    (ie, less than 30 days ago).

3.  Borland has a 30-day money-back guarantee.

4.  Logic dictates Borland should give the original poster a free upgrade
    for 1.5 when he ships back his 1.0 package.  My logic is as follows:

	Per item (2) above, the original owner has NOT owned the
	package past it's non-returnable date.

	Per item (3) above, Borland will refund his money if the
	poster requests it.

 	If Borland refuses the free upgrade, the original poster should:

		1. Return his package for a refund.

		2. Buy a new compiler (not necessarily Borland's).

	Borland does not want the poster to buy a competitor's compiler
	with the money they have returned to him, so they should make it
	easy for him to do business with them by eliminating the riga-
	marole outlined above and just GIVE HIM A FREE UPGRADE WHEN
	THEY RECEIVE HIS OLD ONE.

	In either case, for a NET outlay of $0.00 (nothing) the user will
	get a version of a compiler that is current.

5. The items outlined above only apply under the following conditions:

	1. The compiler has a money-back guarantee.

	2. The owner of the compiler purchased an old version while the
	   new version is shipping.

	3. The owner has not exceeded the money-back guarantee time period.

I must conclude based on the positions stated above that in a very narrowly
defined instance it is possible to receive a free upgrade to Turbo C, either
directly or through the return compiler-get money-buy another compiler cycle.

Sorry if I sound aggravated, I just thought I had explained this well before.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/08/88)

Turbo C ugrade from 1.0 to 1.5 cost:

$33.50 if you are an old-timer like me  -- or --

$15.00 if you got your TC 1.0 after 10/1/87

Add $5 for shipping and handling

Corporate office phone (408) 438-8400 or call the order line
(good luck!!) at (800) 543-7543.

I ordered my TC 1.5 via fone on Dec. 10, 1987 and I have not
received the upgrade yet.

gvw1@ihlpf.ATT.COM (George V. Wilder) (01/09/88)

In article <1484@codas.att.com>, karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
> In article <4549@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
> >
> >>The original question (not posted by me) was:
> >>	what is the current release of Borland's Turbo C?
> >>
> >>The originator stated he had received Turbo 1.0 as a Christmas present and had
> >>heard rumors 1.5 was shipping.
> >
> > Just to set the record straight, Turbo C 1.5 is indeed shipping, but
> > is NOT a free upgrade :-(   There have been advertisements in most
> > computer magazines, and the upgrade costs $33.50 + $5.00 S&H.
> >
> > You can call a toll-free number: (800) 543-7543:  They require the
> > serial number on the master disk, and credit card.  Or you can use
> > mail order, using the coupon in the ad.  The ad also says that the
> > offer expires June 30, 1988.

Before I saw all of the above, I called Borland, and they said that
since I (actually my wife) had purchased TC 1.0 within the last 60
days, I could get an upgrade by sending in:

	(1)  A copy of my paid receipt

	(2)  The serial number on my master disk

	(3)  AND $10.00.

So I did this past Monday (1/4).

Personally, if the upgrade is as significant as I have been told,
I really DON'T mind having to pay the $10.  Anyway, that's the
"rest of the story."
--
		George V. Wilder
	         ihnp4!ihlpf!gvw1

davidg@swindle.uucp (David Gaertner) (01/10/88)

In lots of previous articles....

>> > Just to set the record straight, Turbo C 1.5 is indeed shipping, but
>> > is NOT a free upgrade :-(   There have been advertisements in most
>> > computer magazines, and the upgrade costs $33.50 + $5.00 S&H.

I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
Borland seems to be continuing its tradition of being a terrible
shipper.  Always late, they are.  I've called them many times, and still
nothing's shown up in my mailbox.  I'm getting pretty sick of Borland.
I wonder if Microsoft is any better...

To give them a little credit, though, at least they didn't charge the fee
to my card when I ordered the upgrade way back when.

    /              /		  	David Gaertner
 __/ __. , __o  __/ 	...ucbvax!cory!davidg, davidg@cory.berkeley.edu
(_/_(_/|_\/ <__(_/_ I don't give spare change or go to friendly bible meetings.

In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:
>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
Interesting...  How do you explain my ownership of TC 1.5 then?  The upgrade
amounts to $38.50 (including $5 shipping).  We get all Borland products via
the "Scholar's Program", which gets us them for about the same price.  Our
service center sells them for $40 + $2.80 tax.  Since the difference in cost
for a new version of TC 1.5 was only $4, and we *had* TC 1.5 in stock (we have
since run out), and the upgrade delay was five weeks, I opted for a new copy.

Copied of Borland products sold via the Scholar's Program must be used in
a course curriculum.  Contact Borland for details.
-russ

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (01/13/88)

In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:
>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
>
>    /              /		  	David Gaertner
> __/ __. , __o  __/ 	...ucbvax!cory!davidg, davidg@cory.berkeley.edu
>(_/_(_/|_\/ <__(_/_ I don't give spare change or go to friendly bible meetings.

About a month ago I got a letter from Borland saying that I would
get a free upgrade due to early problems I had with v1.0.
Another week later it was on my doorstep!  I *love* Borland! ;-)

About the upgrade...it is well worth the $33.00 fee.  One of the
really nice features is the different fonts available in graphics
mode.  Have fun.
--
Tom Levin  (The Robo-Programmer)          {ihnp4|sdcrdcf|ttidca|scgvaxd|nrcvax|
part man, part machine...                  jplpro|hoptoad |csun|quad1|bellcore|

davidg@scam.uucp (David Gaertner) (01/14/88)

In article <1982@psivax.UUCP> tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) writes:
>In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:
>>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
>
>About a month ago I got a letter from Borland saying that I would
>get a free upgrade due to early problems I had with v1.0.
>Another week later it was on my doorstep!  I *love* Borland! ;-)
>
>About the upgrade...it is well worth the $33.00 fee.  One of the
>really nice features is the different fonts available in graphics
>mode.  Have fun.
>--

Jeeesus!  I hear all this stuff about people getting their TC upgrades,
yet here I still sit, getting poorer with every phone call to that
piece of garbage company in Scotts Valley.  And still, no TC.  Last
week I called them and was told that I'd be called back; they seemed to
realize there was a problem in the fact that still I had no upgrade.

This week, after not getting a call, I called again.  For the sixth
time in as many weeks, I was told I'd get the upgrade in 2 weeks.  This
is god damned annoying.  The person on the phone even suggested that I
cancel the upgrade order and go to a store and pick one up.  Sure, only
$30 bucks more that I don't need....  Here I sit hoping to do some
serious program development in Turbo C, but I guess I'll have to use
MASM and Turbo Pascal.  Ugh.

So, does this supposed upgrade support the Hercules incolor card?

    /              /		  	David Gaertner
 __/ __. , __o  __/ 	...ucbvax!cory!davidg, davidg@cory.berkeley.edu
(_/_(_/|_\/ <__(_/_ I don't give spare change or go to friendly bible meetings.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/15/88)

On their Forum on CompuServe, the Borland people have announced that the
delay in shipping 1.5 upgrades was caused by running out of manuals
(there are 3 with 1.5), and that all orders would be filled in a 4 - 6
week period.
--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/16/88)

I ordered my upgrade from TC 1.0 --> 1.5 on Nov. 23rd.   I  still
have  not received my upgrade.  I started getting suspicious when
the guy in the office next to me ordered TC just  last  week  and
got  ver  1.5  within  a few days of placing his order.  I called
Borland on Jan. 13th at my expense since I couldn't  get  through
on the gosh darn 800 number -- heck they must only have one line.
After sitting on hold for 20 minutes, I found out that they  lost
my  order because I have the same last name as somebody who lives
in Lakewood, Ohio who had ordered Turbo Pascal 4.0.   I  live  in
Cuyahoga  Falls,  Ohio  and  I could care less about TP 4.0!!!!!!
Arrrrgh.

I sure hope they didn't use Reflex, Paradox, or another of  their
own programs to write their customer database.

--Bill

john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) (01/17/88)

In article <1982@psivax.UUCP> tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) writes:
>In article <101@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> davidg@swindle.UUCP (David Gaertner) writes:
>>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
have
received
mine
about 2 weeks ago.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasazi!john
(602) 861-7607 (day or evening)

davidg@sting.uucp (David Gaertner) (01/23/88)

In article <508@tower.UUCP> john@tower.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>>>I ordered the upgrade the day they began taking orders for it.
>>>Apparently the rumor that TC 1.5 is now shipping is just that, a rumor.
>have
>received
>mine
>about 2 weeks ago.
>--
>John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasazi!john

FINALLY
GOT
MINE,
TOO!  Why do you write like that, John?

Anyway, apparently Borland had problems with their VAX and the order
entry software on it.  It probably couldn't handle all the requests for
Turbo C 1.5 AND Turbo Pascal 4.0 AND the toolboxes.  They even sent out
a nice letter of apology with the upgrade.

    /              /		  	David Gaertner
 __/ __. , __o  __/ 	...uunet!cory!davidg, davidg@cory.berkeley.edu
(_/_(_/|_\/ <__(_/_  Men have it better off: they marry later & die sooner.