[comp.lang.c] C standard should be in Gaelic

physh@unicom.UUCP (Jon 'Quality in - Quantity out' Foreman) (01/27/88)

In article <7181@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> The issue of difficulty in implementing the specifications correctly
> doesn't bother me much.

It doesn't?  It *really* should!

>                          It is unlikely that there are more than a few
> hundred people in the world who could reasonably be expected to produce
> a high-quality C implementation anyway, and most of the ones who will
> be (or are) attempting to implement the ANSI C specifications either are
> on the Committee or have sufficient contacts with Committee members who
> can answer questions about some of the subtler points.

	Apparently in order to implement the standard as specified, you
*have* to know one of the members of the ANSI committee.  I would never
have expected such a high handed remark from someone trying to create a
standard.  I *know* that I can implement a C compiler, but maybe not
quite as well as you.  Is the implication here that it would be
impossible to generate a ANSI conforming compiler because I don't know
you or one of your friends?

	The only reason for coming up with a standard at all is so that
people can have some reference work to find the way.  A standard is
like a map.  Maps aren't useful if you have to *know* the person who
drew it.

	Luckly, I know better. The committee members wouldn't have put
so much work into this for just a note on their resumes.  The standard
should be written so that the little green man can come down from Mars,
get a copy of the standard and go home and implement his C compiler,
without having to contact a member of the ANSI C committee to find out
stuff.

	It can't possibly be that difficult to make a standard readable
and clear, even if you have to do everything by example.  If you can
implement a C compiler, it seems reasonable that you should be able
to document it.

		Jon Foreman
--
ucbvax!pixar!\            | For small letters  | ~~~~~~~\~~~   That's spelled
hoptoad!well!unicom!physh | ( < 10K ) only:    |  Jon  }()      "physh" and