[comp.lang.c] Timer driven functions

asjoshi@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Amit S. Joshi) (01/12/88)

Hi,

I have a problem: I want to have a piece of code (written in TurboC) to
be installed as an interrupt such that after a certain number of clock
ticks the code is executed. This way I can be sure that certain polling
actions are done with regularity without my having to check the rest of
the code. I am sure somebody has to have done this before. I wonder if
somebody could give me a hint on how this could be done -preferably
using only TurboC (i.e. the getvetc(), setvect(), routines and a
function of the type void interrupt).

Thanks,

--
Amit Joshi	BITNET	|	Q3696@PUCC.BITNET
		USENET	| {seismo, rutgers}\!princeton\!phoenix\!asjoshi

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (01/30/88)

In article <5080017@hpfcdc.HP.COM>, boemker@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Tim Boemker) writes:
> > asjoshi@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Amit S. Joshi)
>
> > I want to have a piece of code (written in TurboC) to
> > be installed as an interrupt such that after a certain number of clock
> > ticks the code is executed.
>
> I don't know the architecture of your particular machine, but on many machines
> interrupts are different than subroutines...

Turbo C has a lot of special features designed for handling interrupts
on the PC.  Terry Lambert and others at Century Software (SLC UT) have
written quite a bit of polling code for MS-DOS while developing 'Term'
for DOS.  Try sending mail to him; he might be able to give you some
pointers without giving away Century's code and making his boss angry.

	(...ihnp4!utah-cs!century!terry)

Tell him Wes sent you.