[comp.lang.c] Question about turboC 1.5

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (01/28/88)

In article <2715@cup.portal.com> Randomizer@cup.portal.com writes:
>Can anyone who has turbo C 1.5 tell me if turboC 1.5 has *FAST* video
>writes like turbo pascal 4.0?
>Does it write to the screen very fast?

Turbo C 1.5 does write directly to the screen (*FAST* video by any other
name), but also will allow use of ROM routines if your machine is not
completely IBM compatible.

At present there is another problem with the graphics package that runs like
this:

The various video cards are accesed by drivers loaded either at run time,
or by some effort and conversions, linked at link time.  If you have
1) malloc'ed too much memory (about 64k in this case) or try to load all
the drivers (for all screens and fonts -- YES - it comes with a set of
very nice fonts that will write horizontally and vertically!) your program
will fail.  Seems there is a problem with the routine that they allocate
memory for the routines to be placed.  They've promised that a patch is
forthcomming...

Dan

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (01/30/88)

In article <2715@cup.portal.com>, Randomizer@cup.portal.com writes:
> Can anyone who has turbo C 1.5 tell me if turboC 1.5 has *FAST* video
> writes like turbo pascal 4.0?
> Does it write to the screen very fast?

If you are refering to direct video writes then yes.

Comparing the functions and example program for TP4 and TC1.5,
they are graphically equivalent.

Bill Wilson

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/31/88)

I finally got TC 1.5 with the nice apologetic letter for losing my
order down a black hole.  In fact it came UPS next day, showing up
three days after I called complaining, "Where in tarnation is my
order?"  I suggest that anybody that ordered a TC upgrade and has
waited more than about 3 weeks should give Borland a call.  Don't
bother wearing your fingers to nubs trying to get through on the
800 number.  Call the corporate office and ask for "customer
service".  I got very courteous service.  Other than the fact they
lost my order, I am impressed.

Well, down to business.  I am using an EGA card in an AT&T PC6300.
The PC6300 is smitten by a minor bug sends the bytes of the 8086's
16-bit OUT in the opposite order of a PC/AT.  You really can't
fault AT&T, since the PC6300 was designed *before* the de facto
standard was set by PC/AT.

TC 1.5's EGA driver seems to be doing word wide writes to the EGA
registers.  Doing word wide writes speeds up some operations by
making clever use of the ordering of registers on an EGA card.
Unfortunately, the alternate ordering of the output bytes goofs up
operations for the PC6300.  Many of the TC 1.5 graphics operations
do work on PC6300, but a few will cause your program to crash.

The CGA operations work just fine on an EGA board in the PC6300.
The PC6300's indigenous 640*400 video controller also works just
fine.

The TC graphics support is quite a handy and welcome addtion.

--Bill