[comp.lang.c] Computer aided s/w engineering

macg@alberta.UUCP (Mike MacGregor) (01/25/88)

I'd like to summarize netland experience with CASE ( computer assisted
software engineering ).  I'm most interested in methods, environments
and procedures in general, but I will collect references to specific
products as well.  Please mail direct to me, and I'll post the results.

( Deja vu ?  No - this is my second attempt.  No more Xmas postings for me.)

uucp:  macg@alberta                            Innately analog: (403)432-3978
ean:   macg@pembina.alberta.cdn
disclaimer: I'm saving all my opinions for my thesis.

ram%shukra@Sun.COM (Renu Raman, Sun Microsystems) (01/31/88)

>I'd like to summarize netland experience with CASE ( computer assisted
						^^^
      I have always wondered at the use of this term. [P. note - this
      is not a slander/cricticism of mike's use of the term - so hold
      your flames].

      CASE - Computer Aided Software Engineering
      Software Engineering - Tools & techniques that aid in better use
			     of COmputers.

      The use of COmputer AIded seems to be overkill.

      So, what do we call people who did SE (Software Engineering) without
      the aid of computers and do SE with Computers now?

	 Ex-CUSE - Ex Computer unaided software engineer:-)

Excuse Renu [Yeah! hold the falmes and excuse me].

>uucp:  macg@alberta                            Innately analog: (403)432-3978

---------------------
   Renukanthan Raman				ARPA:ram@sun.com
   Sun Microsystems			UUCP:{ucbvax,seismo,hplabs}!sun!ram
   M/S 5-40, 2500 Garcia Avenue,
   Mt. View,  CA 94043

In article <40529@sun.uucp> ram@sun.UUCP (Renu Raman, Sun Microsystems) writes:
|      CASE - Computer Aided Software Engineering
|      Software Engineering - Tools & techniques that aid in better use
|			     of COmputers.
|
|      The use of COmputer AIded seems to be overkill.

A better definition of Software Engineering might be "tools & techniques for
the design of computer programs".  It should be obvious that one can do
program design without ever touching a computer.

Ashton-Tate          52 Oakland Ave North         E. Hartford, CT 06108

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (02/12/88)

In article <2703@mmintl.UUCP>, franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
> A better definition of Software Engineering might be "tools & techniques for
> the design of computer programs".  It should be obvious that one can do
> program design without ever touching a computer.

But that too is a narrow definition of software engineering.  It is MUCH,
MUCH more than tools & techniques.
Software engineering is the application of computer science to build,
maintain, and manage software systems that solve control or
information-processing problems.  It is (or must become) an engineering
discipline, based in science and structured technique, that addresses
the complete software development process and software life-cycle
concerns.  Barry Boehm provided us with a useful definition:

	"Software engineering is the application of science and
	mathematics by which the capabilities of computer equipment
	are made useful to man via computer programs, procedures, and
	associated documentation."
	(Software Engineering Economics, Barry W. Boehm, Prentice-Hall,
	1981)

Rick Carle, Raytheon Co., rgc@raybed2.RAY.COM