[comp.lang.c] C machines

pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (02/05/88)

I'm looking for references to C-oriented architectures.

I already know about the AT&T CRISP.  I remember a while back that there
was a commotion about the (forgive me, but I know I've got this wrong)
the RU2000 (or something like that) processor and it's optimizing compiler.

Please reply directly!  (Thanks)

	;-D on  (CRAY XM-P/S: bit serial version !-)  Pardo

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (02/15/88)

In article <4159@june.cs.washington.edu> pardo@uw-june.UUCP (David Keppel) writes:
>I'm looking for references to C-oriented architectures.

>I already know about the AT&T CRISP.  I remember a while back that there
>was a commotion about the (forgive me, but I know I've got this wrong)
>the RU2000 (or something like that) processor and it's optimizing compiler.

MIPS R2000: look at 3 articles in Proc. IEEE COMPCON, March 86,
SanFrancisco.

Note the distinction between "C-oriented" and "designed with C in mind,
as well as FORTRAN, PASCAL, etc."  The R2000 is of the latter class.

Most RISCs are at least decent for C, although RISC aficionados argue
fiercely on the details.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253