[comp.lang.c] MSC 5.0 Bug Fix??

hicks@walker-emh.arpa (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (02/10/88)

----BEGINNING OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----
Date:     Tue, 9 Feb 88 10:02:56 EST
From:     Brady@UDEL.EDU
To:       info-ibmpc@UDEL.EDU

A wrinkle in the new MSC 5.0 compiler:

Compiler  apparently does not like eof markers that are at the end of
the last line in a file.  Error c1004 results. Putting a cr-lf at the
end of the file solved the problem.

C1004 documentation suggests that the problem is in either  the  /tmp
space  or in the way macros are defined. Coincidentally, my offending
file is a .h file that defines a macro with arguments, so  some  time
was wasted trying to fix a non-existent macro problem.

JAB

----END OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----
Forwarded this simple 'fix' for information.

Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest
(comp.sys.ibm.pc)

> Compiler  apparently does not like eof markers that are at the end of
> the last line in a file.  Error c1004 results. Putting a cr-lf at the
> end of the file solved the problem.

Compiler is doing it right, although the complaint is perhaps undesirably
cryptic.  X3J11:  "A source file that is not empty shall end in a new-line
character."  (Page 6, line 38, 11 Jan 1988 draft)
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry