[comp.lang.c] Help: TurboC: Too Much Global Data!

regoli@silver.UUCP (02/11/88)

]:[

a while back i *thought* i had seen a posting regarding the
linker error: "Too much global data."

is there a way around this error message in turbo c?  i've
got the "D" release of version 1.0 running on an 8088.  this
linker error seems to occur regardless of the memory model used.

thanks in advance for any suggestions...

--
                              michael regoli
		   indiana university, bloomington

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (02/15/88)

In article <849@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>a while back i *thought* i had seen a posting regarding the
>linker error: "Too much global data."
>
>is there a way around this error message in turbo c?  i've
>got the "D" release of version 1.0 running on an 8088.  this
>linker error seems to occur regardless of the memory model used.

I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  I called the Borland
folks.  They told me what was wrong and how to cope with it.  The problem
is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.  I did and it worked.  Keep
in mind that without using tlink, you have to use command line mode
instead of the all in one environment.

>                              michael regoli
>uucp  ...ihnp4!iuvax!silver!regoli   arpa  regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

--
Jim Prior    jep@oink.UUCP    {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep
Pseudo-programmers use pseudo-code to write pseudo-programs on pseudo-machines!

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (02/16/88)

In article <218@oink.UUCP>, jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
> In article <849@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
	....deleted text ....
> >linker error seems to occur regardless of the memory model used.
>
> I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  I called the Borland
> folks.  They told me what was wrong and how to cope with it.  The problem
> is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
> to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.  I did and it worked.  Keep
> in mind that without using tlink, you have to use command line mode

hahahahahha...."Gee, we have this kick compiler, of course the whole thing
doesnt work right so you'll have to use our competitions linker."

Mind you, I have turbo (is there *anyone* who doesn't have a copy) but
if I had heard Borland tell me that on the phone, I would have
died.  So have they gotten around to fixing their own linker???

miek

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/18/88)

In article <2622@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>In article <218@oink.UUCP>, jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
>> In article <849@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>> >linker error seems to occur regardless of the memory model used.
>>
>> I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  [...]
>> The problem
>> is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
>> to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.
>
>hahahahahha...."Gee, we have this kick compiler, of course the whole thing
>doesnt work right so you'll have to use our competitions linker."
>
>Mind you, I have turbo (is there *anyone* who doesn't have a copy) but
>if I had heard Borland tell me that on the phone, I would have
>died.

I am not surprised when someone asks me to do that.  As it is, the
linker isn't really "the competition" since you don't have to have
the uSoft compiler to have their linker.  I would be willing to bet
that *most* C/Pascal/RPG II/Fortran/compiler-of-your-choice compilers
make use of uSoft's linker, since it's provided with MS-DOS.  I've
used quite a few compilers, and only Borland's products used their own
(very very fast) linker, with the exception of Modula-2 compilers
which really should have a special linker for obvious reasons.

As it is, TLINK works very well for being a first revision linker.
What revision is uSoft LINK on?

Cheers,

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu