[comp.lang.c] C machine and "=" vs "=="

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (02/17/88)

In article <1186@cooper.cooper.EDU> gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook)) writes:
>		(ptr) p1 = (ptr) p0 + (int) d
>
>Simply, add an integer displacement to a pointer, and you'll get another
>pointer. With a little algebra, solve for 'd'. You'll get.....

Here we have a classic example of the "=" instead of "==" user!!!
"Solve for"??  In an *assignment statement*??

Sorry Gene, this is not meant as an attack on you, only to underscore my
scorn for those who say the "=" vs "==" thing is not a problem!!

Ray Dunn.   ..philabs!micomvax!ray

In article <908@micomvax.UUCP> ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
-In article <1186@cooper.cooper.EDU> gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook)) writes:
->		(ptr) p1 = (ptr) p0 + (int) d
-"Solve for"??  In an *assignment statement*?? ...
-scorn for those who say the "=" vs "==" thing is not a problem!!

If you think that is a C assignment statement, you're illiterate in C.
I suppose in that case it IS a problem for you, but so what?