[comp.lang.c] TurboC: Stupid Linker ?

zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) (02/23/88)

In article <2622@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>> I had this problem also last summer (Version 1.0).  I called the Borland
>> folks.  They told me what was wrong and how to cope with it.  The problem
>> is Borland's tlink.  The solution that the Borland folks recommended is
>> to use a recent version of Microsoft's link.  I did and it worked.  Keep
>> in mind that without using tlink, you have to use command line mode

I read in the manual to Data&Windows that the Turbo-C linker tlink does NOT
report unresolved externals. Can anybody confirm? Or proof the contrary
(which would be much better for Borland).

		Regards,
		...urs

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (02/27/88)

In article <307@bernina.UUCP> zu@bernina.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
>I read in the manual to Data&Windows that the Turbo-C linker tlink does NOT
>report unresolved externals. Can anybody confirm? Or proof the contrary
>(which would be much better for Borland).

Jeepers, they're not that dumb.  Tlink does indeed report undefined symbols.
It reports them to me every day.  (I wish it would report fewer of them, but
I guess I need bigger libraries.)  Tlink does have problems running out of
space at inconvenient times, which is when you need to use MS-link, but
considering how fast tlink is, it's not that bad a tradeoff.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (02/27/88)

In article <307@bernina.UUCP>, zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:

> I read in the manual to Data&Windows that the Turbo-C linker tlink does NOT
> report unresolved externals. Can anybody confirm? Or proof the contrary
> (which would be much better for Borland).

My copy of Turbo C's linker reports them.  Sometimes several pages of them
when I've forgotten an "#include" statement ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin