[comp.lang.c] NROFF-like DOS formatter

hicks@walker-emh.arpa (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) (02/14/88)

----BEGINNING OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 88 10:54:53 CST
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
To: hicks@walker-emh.arpa
Subject: NROFF-like DOS formatter

Is anyone aware of a text formatter that uses NROFF's command structure?
PD is nice, but not essential.  The goal is to create formatted output
on a PC from files originally formatted specifically for NROFF -- another
set of formatting commands will not meet the requirement.  Thanks in advance.

Mark L. Williams
(mlw@ncsc.arpa)

----END OF FORWARDED MESSAGES----
Can anyone provide information on this?

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Editor, Info-IBMPC Digest
(also: comp.sys.ibm.pc)

ALEWIS%UTCVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Adam Lewis) (02/16/88)

Dr. Dobbs Journal sells a version of nroff for the PC at a price that
is fairly reasonable.  More importantly, they aslo include the source
code for it.

I recall that there is aslo a PD version of nroff floating around on one
of the PD software libs.  If you can FTP, check on SIMTEL20.ARPA or if
you are on BITNET, check the LISTSERVer at one of machines at RPI.

************************************
Adam Lewis
BITNET: ALEWIS AT UTCVM
        PC16 AT UTCMUSIC

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (02/23/88)

In article <11802@brl-adm.ARPA>, hicks@walker-emh.arpa (Gregory Hicks COMFLEACTS) writes:
> [...]

Yah, look in Dr. Dobb's Journal for the advertisements for M&T
Publishing's add.  Call them and tell them you want their book on
"NR".  NR is an nroff-clone written by Allen Holub, the author of Dr.
Dobb's C-Chest column.  NR is supposed to be 99% compatible with nroff
code, and includes two of the popular macro packages for nroff.  You
get the source, and it's only like $40~$50.

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

btb@ncoast.UUCP (Brad Banko) (03/06/88)

I recently was looking for the same kind of thing, and I got some info about
some good looking stuff from Elan Computer Group, Inc.:

		410 Cambridge AVE; suite a
		Palo Alto, CA  94306
		415-322-2450

they make an nroff/pc with tbl, neqn, mm, man for msdos for $99!
they also make an eroff system which costs $700.  I haven't tried their stuff,
but the samples they sent with an info packet look very good.

--
			Brad Banko
			Columbus, Ohio

"The only thing we have to fear on this planet is man."
			-- Carl Jung, 1875-1961

jrl@anuck.UUCP (j.r.lupien) (03/10/88)

Future Concepts has a good nroff/troff like formatter for
DOS. You could call them up at (617)-482-3696.