[comp.lang.c] Microsoft C 5.0 help?

tsmith@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/18/88)

Microsoft C 5.0 Users?
     I'm having trouble compiling with the large model
of the MS C 5.0 compiler.  I need the large model because
I want to use the /Zi compiling parameter and the /co
linking parameter to put debugging info into the .obj and
the .exe files to be used by CodeView.  Is there anyone
that has been successful in using other than the default
/AS small model?
     Thanks.

mccarthy@well.UUCP (Patrick McCarthy) (03/19/88)

In article <77200024@uiucdcsp> tsmith@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Microsoft C 5.0 Users?
>      I'm having trouble compiling with the large model
> of the MS C 5.0 compiler.  I need the large model because
> I want to use the /Zi compiling parameter and the /co
> linking parameter to put debugging info into the .obj and
> the .exe files to be used by CodeView.  Is there anyone
> that has been successful in using other than the default
> /AS small model?

First off, you don't need the large model to use the /Zi and /CO
switches; these will work in any memory model. Secondly, and probably
most importantly, it would be helpful to know what your symptom is.
Are you getting compiler/linker errors, does your program crash,
or what? Your problem could be anything ranging from linking modules
compiled under different memory models (be especially careful when
specifying third party libraries in your link statement) to assigning
data to an uninitialized pointer. Until you can provide more information
(like what your code is supposed to do vs. what it actually does/does
not do under the various models you've tried), attempts at diagnosis
would just be shots in the dark. Specific information on your compile
and link statements, as well as a (small) code fragment would go a long
way.

Pat McCarthy
well!mccarthy@lll-crg.arpa
mccarthy@well.uucp

"Ask Dr. Science: He knows more than you do

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (03/23/88)

Your requests sounds like you cannot use CV with small model programs.
I haven't had any problems using CV (Ver 2.10) with them (C 5.0).  When
I built Large Model stuff, CL.EXE complained about "cl /AL/Zi stuff.c",
(Command line error 2009 : unknown option '/' in '-A') but this was
rectified by adding a space between /AL and /Zi.  My large model stuff
worked fine (of course :-).

The only problem I did encounter was trying to use this new CV while I
had both SideKick and PC-NFS installed on my AT.  Then CV would complain
about "invalid argument" and exit immediately.  Taking out either would
fix it.  This didn't happen with the CV that was shipped with 4.0.

I don't understand it, and don't want to take the time and aggravation to try.

	-greg

Informix Software, Inc.	  Menlo Park CA		(415) 322-4100
{pyramid|uunet}!infmx!greggy

So, like, uh, where do you guys get all these cool .sigs from, anyways?