[comp.lang.c] yacc & lex intro books?

amen@quequeg.UUCP (Bob Amen) (03/19/88)

	After attempting to wade through the yacc and lex manuals (papers)
I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a good introductory book on
either or both of these topics.  Something along the lines of Kernighan
& Pike would be nice.

	Please Email me any ideas/suggestion you might have.

	Thanks,
	Bob

--
	Bob Amen (amen@quequeg.UUCP) (+1 301 338-6329)
	Chesapeake Bay Institute/The Johns Hopkins University

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/22/88)

_Introduction to Compiler Construction with UNIX_

ISBN 0-13-474396-2

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/24/88)

In article <10023@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>_Introduction to Compiler Construction with UNIX_
>
>ISBN 0-13-474396-2

I found this book to be fairly uninstructive and impenetrable, with
examples that were less clear than the text it was supposed to
illuminate (and that text was pretty muddy to start with).  I learned
one hell of a lot more about lex and yacc from playing around with
'em, plus liberal reference to the Dragon book, than I did from this
one.  NOT recommended.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate