[comp.lang.c] Getcher cards and letters in, folks! COMMENT PERIOD CLOSING!

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (03/27/88)

The "Public Review" period for the current ANSI C draft ends April 12, 1988.

If you have complaints about the current state of the standard, from
nits all the way up to non-negotiable demands about noalias, write them down,
make three copies, and send two of them [FedEx if you're late] to:

	X3 Secretariat/CBEMA
	311 First Street, NW, Suite 500
	Washington, DC  20001
and
	Board of Standards Review
	American National Standards Institute
	1430 Broadway
	New York, NY  10018

The Board of Standards Review in particular wants to hear about defects
in the *process* of creating a standard; their job is to make sure that
the process was fair and followed all the rules.  They will hear from me
about the lack of machine readable review copies...care to lend your
voice too?

You can get a copy of the standard for $65 by calling Global Engineering
Documents at +1 800 854 7179 or +1 714 261 1455, extension 300.
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
		"Watch me change my world..." -- Liquid Theatre

In article <4254@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>If you have complaints about the current state of the standard, ...

But please try to follow the guidelines I suggested previously,
for example: make sure that you are critiquing the actual draft
proposed standard and not your notion of what the draft says
based on hearsay; include specific draft references and propose
wording that would resolve your issue; include examples; etc.
The X3J11 committee has a lot of work to do to get a timely,
reasonably good standard published, and it will be slowed down
if it has to wade through a lot of drivel like that that often
infests this newsgroup.

This is a personal plea, not necessarily representing the
official views of X3J11 nor of any other committee member.

dsill@NSWC-OAS.arpa (Dave Sill) (03/29/88)

In article <4254@hoptoad.uucp> John Gilmore <hoptoad!gnu> writes:
>The Board of Standards Review in particular wants to hear about defects
>in the *process* of creating a standard; their job is to make sure that
>the process was fair and followed all the rules.  They will hear from me
>about the lack of machine readable review copies...care to lend your
>voice too?

Yeah, I think I'll complain about the duration of the Public Review
Period.  It will probably be over before I have a copy of the draft in
hand.  This is partly because I work for the government and such
purchases take longer than they really ought to.  (I ordered mine the
day I received Doug's message announcing the review period.)  But it
is also because the review period is so short.  I just don't think two
months is long enough for most people to obtain a copy of the draft,
study it, and compose comments.  It would have helped if I could have
anticipated the review period and ordered a copy of the draft in
advance.  As it was, I was afraid if I ordered early I'd get the wrong
version.

I also think $65 is exorbitant.  If it was reasonable, I would have
bought a copy myself.

Of course, a machine-readable copy would also have served my needs.

=========
The opinions expressed above are mine.