[comp.lang.c] cpp.c desperately needed

MH9TS1BF%ICINECA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (03/12/88)

From a desperate Fortranist, who put himself into troubles
with his own hands.

Dear C Community,
Can anybody help me ? I have a lot of Fortran source code
to be preprocessed by cpp (to handle machine dependencies etc)
( it seemed a good idea ... )
that I am porting from a Unix environment to Vax/VMS.
The Digital Vax C compiler we have on our 8800
has a built-in cpp which cannot be used stand-alone !
i.e. I cannot avoid my poor Fortran programs to be fed into
the subsequent passes of the C compiler ( hard work for
the parser ..).
Does anybody know if there is a cpp.c in the public domain, and
how to reach it ?

Thank you very much in advance to anybody who may help me.

Furio Ercolessi, Intl. School for Advanced Studies, Trieste (Italy)
     MH9TS1BF@ICINECA.BITNET

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (03/15/88)

In article <12285@brl-adm.ARPA> MH9TS1BF%ICINECA.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
[...]
>Can anybody help me ? I have a lot of Fortran source code
>to be preprocessed by cpp (to handle machine dependencies etc)
>( it seemed a good idea ... )
>that I am porting from a Unix environment to Vax/VMS.
[...]

>Does anybody know if there is a cpp.c in the public domain, and
>how to reach it ?
[...]

>Furio Ercolessi, Intl. School for Advanced Studies, Trieste (Italy)
>     MH9TS1BF@ICINECA.BITNET

I need a pd cpp as well.  Our compiler doesn't handle #define's longer
than eight chars (nor variables either).  At least with a decent cpp I
could just create a header file with #define THIS_IS_TOO_LONG TITL
for each of the conflicting #define's rather than having to sed all the
source and keep two copies around -- one normal and one with short
names.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I would like to compile elm 1.7 and
perl.

Thanks,
Bill

	Name:		William D. Burton
	US Mail:	American Academy of Arts and Sciences
			136 Irving St., Cambridge, MA 02138-1996
	Audible:	1-617-576-5023
	UUCP:		...!husc6!amcad!billb
	ARPANET:	billb%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (03/17/88)

In article <148@amcad.UUCP> billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
>I need a pd cpp as well.  Our compiler doesn't handle #define's longer
>than eight chars (nor variables either).

The Free Software Foundation distributes a cpp like program as part
of the GNU cc compiler.  It is available from prep.ai.mit.edu by
ftp, or via USMail by writing to

	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	675 Mass Ave
	Cambridge, MA 02139

If you want them to mail you a tape, you'll have to send a check for
about $150 (your prices may vary.)

-- Scott Schwartz                       | Your array may be without head or
        schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu      | tail, yet it will be proof against

twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) (03/17/88)

In article <3367@psuvax1.psu.edu>, schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
> 	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
     ^^^^
> send a check for
> about $150 (your prices may vary.)
        ^^^^

Huh?

schwartz@psuvax1.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (03/18/88)

In article <1348@hoqax.UUCP> twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) writes:

>> 	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> about $150 (your prices may vary.)

>Huh?

The fee is for labor involved in making the tape, etc.  The software
is Free in the sense that it is not enslaved by unfriendly licencing
reqirements.   Once you get the programs from the FSF you can give
them away to your friends, subject to the emancipating provisions of
the GNU General Public Licence.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/18/88)

In article <1348@hoqax.UUCP> twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) writes:
>>	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>	^^^^
>>about $150 (your prices may vary.)
>	^^^^
>
>Huh?

I thought everyone knew `$150' == `free' (must be the NEW new math) :-) ...

Seriously, you may get a free copy of GNU CPP from anyone who is
willing to give you one, but FSF is not willing to mail tapes for
free.  That is, the *software* is free, but the *tape* costs $150
if obtained from FSF.

The distinction matters whenever you get it some OTHER way.

Chris

egisin@watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (03/19/88)

In article <148@amcad.UUCP>, billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
> I need a pd cpp as well.  Our compiler doesn't handle #define's longer
> than eight chars (nor variables either).  At least with a decent cpp I
> could just create a header file with #define THIS_IS_TOO_LONG TITL
> for each of the conflicting #define's rather than having to sed all the
> source and keep two copies around -- one normal and one with short
> names.

the PD decus cpp was one of the first postings to mod.sources.

the only problem is that it was based on an early ANSI draft,
and has # as the concatenation operator and probably other incompatabilites.
has anyone changed the program to reflect a more recent ANSI draft?

mjr@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum) (03/20/88)

In article <1348@hoqax.UUCP> twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) writes:
]In article <3367@psuvax1.psu.edu>, schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
]> 	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
]     ^^^^
]> send a check for
]> about $150 (your prices may vary.)
]        ^^^^
]
]Huh?

Almost like "military intelligence", eh ??
...ich bin in einem dusenjet ins jahr 53 vor chr...ich lande im antiken Rom...
                     einige gladiatoren spielen scrabble...ich rieche PIZZA...

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (03/23/88)

> >>	Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >	^^^^
> >>about $150 (your prices may vary.)
> >	^^^^
> I thought everyone knew `$150' == `free' (must be the NEW new math) :-) ...

Ah, it comes back to me.  Remember the Usenet BOF at the winter '87 USENIX?

Mark Brader		"Actually, $150, to an educational institution,
Toronto			 turns out to be about the same as a lower amount."
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				-- Mark Horton

kkaempf@rmi.UUCP (Klaus Kaempf) (03/26/88)

Hi !

Why dont you look at DECUS cpp. I have successfully compiled it on my
Amiga and it works very well. The Amiga-version is available from
Fred Fish (fnf@well.uucp) or some DEC User's Group near you :-)

Klaus

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (04/06/88)

In article <148@amcad.UUCP>, billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
% [...]
%
% >Does anybody know if there is a cpp.c in the public domain, and
% >how to reach it ?
% [...]
%
% >Furio Ercolessi, Intl. School for Advanced Studies, Trieste (Italy)
% >     MH9TS1BF@ICINECA.BITNET
%
% I need a pd cpp as well.  Our compiler doesn't handle #define's longer
% than eight chars (nor variables either).  At least with a decent cpp I
% could just create a header file with #define THIS_IS_TOO_LONG TITL
% for each of the conflicting #define's rather than having to sed all the
% source and keep two copies around -- one normal and one with short
% names.
%
% Any help would be much appreciated.  I would like to compile elm 1.7 and
% perl.

We just went through this a couple of weeks ago in comp.lang.c:  Try "Dr.
Dobb's Toolbook of C," from M&T publishing.  It includes the source for the
cpp that goes with the Small-C compiler in it.  You can even get it on a
disk (but not one you can read with a VAX).
--
    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!
  /    \/ \/\/  \   -   Contend in Vain."   -  uplherc!sp7040!
 / U i n T e c h \  -       Schiller        -     obie!wes

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (04/09/88)

Get the GNU C compiler, which has a preprocessor as well.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp