From:      Jon A. Rochlis    <Rochlis @ MIT-MULTICS>

    Date: Tuesday,  5 Jul 1983 08:23-PDT
    Subject: Twilight Zone the Movie (Semi-Spoiler)

         Incidentally, the short story that "The Cornfield" was based on
    is very good.  Anyone remember the title/author?

                                    -- Scott --

It was based on "It's a @i(Good) Life" by Jerome Bixby.  You can find it
in the original Science Fiction Hall of Fame (vol 1).  I haven't read it
in years (though I almost did after I saw the Twilight Zone move, but
got sidetracked) ... as I recall it is quite good.  (Almost all of that
volume of SF Hall of Fame is very good).

                    -- Jon

asente@decwrl.UUCP (Paul Asente) (07/11/83)

I believe the Twilight Zone episode was based on the short story
"It's a Good Life," but I don't remember who wrote it.  By the way,
do you remember who played the little boy in the original TZ episode?

	-paul

ables@ut-ngp.UUCP (07/11/83)

Two of the episodes of the movie are direct remakes of existing TV
episodes with slightly altered endings.  The other two movie episodes
are loosly based on old TV episodes.  The one with the powerful boy
is a new version of one with Billy Mumy playing a boy that kept a whole
town in fear of his powers (did you notice Billy Mumy in the cafe in
the movie??).  The first piece of the movie I think comes from an
episode where an American soldier wants to go into a cave and kill
all the helpless wounded Japanese soldiers he knows are there, while
some of his soldiers say: Can't we just leave 'em, they're not going
to hurt us.  Then things reverse and he's in a group of Japanese
soldiers that want to go in and kill American soldiers in a cave and
he says: Can't we just leave 'em, they're not going to hurt us?
The one in the movie suffers a little from not having really been
finished, but all things considered, not bad.
I suggest you consult the Twilight Zone Companion for authors and actors
in the old episodes, it's an excellent book.  If you don't have/can't
get a copy, I'll be glad to respond through mail to anyone wanting
info on an episode.
-king
UUCP:...nbires!ut-ngp!ables    ARPA:ables@utexas-11

trb@cbscd5.UUCP (07/12/83)

The "Cornfield" segment in TZ is from the 1953 short story
"It's a Good Life" by Jerome Bixby. Mr. Bixby also wrote
a number of the Star Trek series scripts. A copy of this
story can be found in "The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol. 1".

franka@tekcad.UUCP (07/14/83)

#R:decwrl:-257800:tekcad:700006:000:152
tekcad!franka    Jul 13 08:55:00 1983

	The little boy who played the original "Anthony" on The Twilight
Zone episode was Billy Mumy (who later went on to "Lost in Space").
					Frank Adrian

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (07/15/83)

The short story that "The Cornfield" is based on is called "It's a Good
Life" (not to be confused with the movie of the same name) by Jerome
Bixby.

Allen England

bmcjmp@burdvax.UUCP (07/19/83)

As a matter of fact, Billy Mumy was in that particular segment of the movie.
He played the young man in the bar who didn't get mad at Anthony. Ironic
sympathy, probably.