[net.sf-lovers] Marxists and Libertarians Unite

SSteinberg.SoftArts%MIT-MULTICS@sri-unix.UUCP (07/02/83)

Back in High School my Marxist friends insisted I read The Moon
is A Harsh Mistress since it explained what the revolution was
all about.  If the moon was a prison colony I imagine that
would only strengthen their case.  I am glad to see that the
Libertarians and Marxists have a lot more in common than one
might expect.

cfv@packet.UUCP (07/07/83)

Wait a second! **FLAME**

As a libertarian, I have to disagree with your contention that Marxists and
Libertarians have a lot in common. Marxism is based on the belief that the
individual gets the greatest benefit by pooling his work with others for the
State (Which is much different than theoretical or real communism).
Libertarians believe that government is a neccessary evil that should be
limited only to those things that HAVE to be done by the government. Thats
a LOT different, since one tries to maximize the common good by reducing
individuality, and the other tries to maximize the individual good by
minimizing governmental restraints...

** Flame off **
--
>From the dungeons of the Warlock:
					      Chuck Von Rospach
					      ucbvax!amd70!packet!cfv
					      (chuqui@mit-mc)  <- obsolete!

gcsherwood@watcgl.UUCP (Geoffrey C. Sherwood) (07/09/83)

{
	Back in High School my Marxist friends insisted I read The Moon
	is A Harsh Mistress since it explained what the revolution was
	all about.  If the moon was a prison colony I imagine that
	would only strengthen their case.  I am glad to see that the
	Libertarians and Marxists have a lot more in common than one
	might expect.
}

	This is a really neat submission.  It manages to slur both a fine
work of fiction and the Libertarian party on the hard and fast evidence
that Marxist friends (did he say FRIENDS??? ) liked the book.
	Fine piece of deductive reasoning.  Keep up the good work.

	- geoff sherwood -
	- U. of Waterloo -

myers@uwvax.UUCP (07/15/83)

You had rather bizarre "Marxist" friends...
But self-determination of peoples *is* *very* important.

GZ%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (07/19/83)

From:  Gail Zacharias <GZ @ MIT-MC>

    Date: 9 Jul 83 16:49:18-PDT (Sat)
    From: decvax!wivax!linus!utzoo!watmath!watcgl!gcsherwood at Ucb-Vax
        {Back in High School my Marxist friends insisted I read The Moon is A
        Harsh Mistress since it explained what the revolution was all about.
        ...  I am glad to see that the Libertarians and Marxists have
        a lot more in common than one might expect.}
    This is a really neat submission.  It manages to slur both a fine work
    of fiction and the Libertarian party on the hard and fast evidence that
    Marxist friends (did he say FRIENDS??? ) liked the book.
    Fine piece of deductive reasoning.  Keep up the good work.

One might expect that Marxists have nothing in common with Libertarians.
If Marxists agree with Libertarians on this point, then they have more in
common than one might expect.  Sounds like a perfectly good deduction to
me.  Just what do you find wrong with it?

You shouldn't confuse logic with your emotional (over)reaction to the word
"Marxist"...