[comp.lang.c] No gotos in Bourne shell

In article <1988Apr16.223658.15649@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
# > <>...And I know of no language, with the possible exception of Ada, that is
# > <>rich enough in control structures to always have an elegant and
# > <>efficient alternative to using a goto.
# >
# > Check out BLISS...
#
# Don't forget the Unix shell.  (The standard one, not the silly thing from
# Berkeley.)

To use some of your prior terminology, it is "amusing" to "note" that the
Bourne shell supports `break n'.  Without a goto and (until System V) without
functions, this is the only way to leave nested loops without having
to introduce extraneous variables.  In an interpreted language like sh,
extraneous variables really cost.

It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.  VMS?  I
hear you say?  What's THAT?!?!?
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (04/20/88)

In article <2592@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

>It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
>has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.  VMS?  I
>hear you say?  What's THAT?!?!?

	This above must be a massive joke. You obviously have never used
	DCL!!  A year after starting to suffer DCL-Goto-pain-in-the-rear
	[even prep-h did not help], I adopted a C version of ratfor
	translator on top of DCL (A later version of that translator was
	posted to comp.sources.unix... it should take you about a day to
	make it generate DCL... try it :-)), so we can be rid of GOTOs.
	That was 5 years ago. DEC's VMS/DCL brain-damage was probably the
	most backward thing ever inflicted [in the name of RSX11
	compatibility no less] on computing professionals. [But than,
	that is DEC...  they wrote a stream-oriented programmable filter
	language, and when I asked its designers about AWK, I got blank
	stares...  They did not know what it was...]

	Yes... This is *very amusing* !!!

oz
--
... and they will all		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yunexus!oz
bite the dust ... 	    		.......!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz

> ... it is "amusing" to "note" that the
> Bourne shell supports `break n'...

Now, quickly, name three people who've ever actually used it.  Certainly
we haven't, and we've got thousands of lines of shell applications.

> It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
> has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.

If you consider marketing success a sign of technical merit, I trust you are
using an ASR33 connected to a VAX 730 running VMS on RL01 disks to write
assembler code for an IBM PC running MSDOS? ;-)
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

In article <1988Apr20.072731.461@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
#
# > It is also "amusing" to "note" that DEC has done right well with its DCL which
# > has yet to support a loop constructor of any kind other than GOTO.
#
# If you consider marketing success a sign of technical merit, I trust you are
# using an ASR33 connected to a VAX 730 running VMS on RL01 disks to write
# assembler code for an IBM PC running MSDOS? ;-)

Your feeble attempt at a humorous counterexample is, well, unlaughable.
The worst/slowest of the items you mention (the ASR33 and the VAX 730) have
next to no share of the market today.  VMS and big VAXEN are successes NOW
in TECHNICAL MARKETS.  The market HAS spoken, not always in the way I'd
hope (rah rah, UNIX _OPERATING SYSTEM_) but it somehow gets what it needs.
It is cruelly indifferent to technical stuffed-shirtness.  All it wants
is RELIABLE RESULTS and if by cracky DCL with GOTOs can contribute to VMS's
ability to produce reliable results, it sells!  I'm sure DEC would cry (all
the way to the bank) at your criticisms.

It is also amusing to note that the brightest, brainiest, elitest technical
innovation means nothing, nada, zilch, until it finds a use.
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ihnp4,<most AT&T machines>!ttrdc!levy
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|  my opinions, I've a nice bridge to sell ya.