[comp.lang.c] old-style assignment operators

> (P.S: Is dpANS finally going to get rid of this?  I hope so.)

X3J11 has removed the old-style assignments operators (e.g. =-) from the
language (and has also required the new-style operators to be single tokens).
However, code containing the old operators is still around, and it is just
as well if compilers continue to issue warnings about the matter.
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

rbutterworth@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ray Butterworth) (04/26/88)

In article <1988Apr11.202721.20786@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> X3J11 has removed the old-style assignments operators (e.g. =-) from the
> language (and has also required the new-style operators to be single tokens).
> However, code containing the old operators is still around, and it is just
> as well if compilers continue to issue warnings about the matter.

The real problem isn't with compilers that issue warnings,
it is with compilers (such as BSD's) that issue the warning and
then go ahead and interpret "x=-1" as "x -= 1".
Issue the warning, fine, but please interpret it the "correct" way,
not the way that has been wrong for a decade.  If they had done that
all along, the old code would have been fixed by now instead of
being left as it was since it still compiles ok if you ignore the
warings.