[comp.lang.c] C COMPILER FOR IBM MAINFRAME

nff0132@dsacg3.UUCP (Chuck Hoff) (05/20/88)

We are considering using C language for supportware development on
our mainframe computers to allow portability across operating
system environments.

Does anyone have any information on available C compilers for the
IBM series 3080 mainframe computer operating under MVS?

Name of company and telephone number be of great help.

Also if anyone has used these compilers I would be interested in hearing
your opinion - good or bad.

Thanks in advance
--
Chuck Hoff                  {seismo!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!choff
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center      | 614-238-9785

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (05/20/88)

In article <867@dsacg3.UUCP> nff0132@dsacg3.UUCP (Chuck Hoff) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on available C compilers for the
>IBM series 3080 mainframe computer operating under MVS?

Please post this information.  This would eliminate a headache I have.
I have to maintain some software (I didn't write it!) that is fairly
portable between various operating systems that is written in Fortran.
Since we are trying to standardize on Unix, I'd like to rewrite it in C.
The main thing preventing this is our mass store system running under MVS.
--
Craig Ruff      NCAR                         INTERNET: cruff@ncar.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1211  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: cruff@ncar.CSNET

schwartz@swatsun.UUCP (05/20/88)

I think that the university of waterloo markets a C compiler for IBM
mainframes, at least those that run VM/CMS.  As for MVS, I'm not sure.

--
# Scott Schwartz
# ...{{seismo,ihnp4}!bpa,cbmvax!vu-vlsi,sun!liberty}!swatsun!schwartz

dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (05/21/88)

Two IBM/370 compilers are available to my knowledge. One is from
SAS, the people who do the statistical software. They bought out Lattice
a few years ago, and have ported the Lattice C compiler to 370 land.

The other company is IBM. I know they were planning to release their
compiler about 2 years ago (last time I dealt with 370 mainframes).

I'm not sure what environments (ie. CICS, VM, TSO, MVS, etc.) they were
planning to target, but since most things run under MVS for performance,
I suspect that environment will be available.

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: ihnp4!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (05/22/88)

I know of the following compilers - most have versions for VM/CMS as well as
MVS if that should be of any interest.  I don't have addresses or phone numbers
handy - sorry.

AT&T
	There is a PCC version available.  There are some provisions for C
	modules calling other languages (by declaring the routine "fortran"),
	but I had to hack the compiler to allow C to be called from other
	languages.  (This was a while ago, so it may have been fixed, but I
	doubt it.)  The language and library are what you would expect from
	the authors of C and Unix.  There is no support available, but the
	compiler comes with source code if you want to do-it-yourself.

IBM
	This is a warmed-over version of the Whitesmiths compiler.  Last time
	I looked at it there was NO interlanguage capability at all (would
	you believe VAX standard calling sequences?!?).  This may well have
	changed by now.

SAS/Lattice - SAS Institute, Cary, NC
	This is a port of the Lattice IBM PC compiler.  SAS has done quite a
	good job with this.  The C calling sequence is compatible with the
	standard OS calling conventions so that it is possible for C modules
	to call and be called from other languages without any undue effort.
	The language is fairly standard, as is the library.  (The I/O library
	was somewhat deficient but has been fixed in a recent release.)

Waterloo
	Yet another compiler from the folkes who made WATFOR and WATFIV into
	common, everyday words.  The language and library seem to be fairly
	standard.  Interlanguage compatibility is through a library of
	interface routines which requires hacking your source code to death.

Whitesmiths
	See IBM.

Of these, I have used only the AT&T and SAS compilers.  If people have
questions, I will try to answer them, but I make no guarantees as to the
timeliness or correctness of the answers.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: ...!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                AT&T: (513) 576-2070
Milford, OH  45150
"When all else fails, read the directions."

ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu (Alan Myrvold) (05/22/88)

In article <1811@thebes.UUCP> schwartz@swatsun.UUCP (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>I think that the university of waterloo markets a C compiler for IBM
>mainframes, at least those that run VM/CMS.  As for MVS, I'm not sure.

The February 1988 issue of Computer Language has advertisements for
SAS/C and Waterloo C - pages 85 and 109. IBM has a C too.

I haven't used either - so I cannot claim a preference.

SAS Institute			WATCOM
Attn: CC			Dept. CL-02A
SAS Circle 			415 Phillip Street
Box 8000			Waterloo, Ontario
Cary NC, USA			Canada
27512-8000			N2L 3X2
(919) 467-8000			(519) 886-3700

		Alan Myrvold
		ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu

Si je t'aime? Bien sur que je t'aime! Ne suis-je pas en train de
te le prouver encore une fois, dans ce lit?
Alan Myrvold     ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/23/88)

There is also the NorCroft C compiler.  It has back ends for quite a few
machines, and one of the is the /370 series.  From the announcement:
  The compiler produces either or both IBM object modules or
  assemblable listing.  Dhrystone 23K+ on a 3084 running MVS/XA.

  NorCroft is a trading name of a startup company (Codemist Ltd)
  formed by three academics:
    Prof J.P. Fitch, Dept of Computer Science, Bath University, UK
    Dr. A. Mycroft, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
      Email:  am@cl.cam.ac.uk,
      phone   +44 223 334621 (office), +44 223 871088 (home 1800-2200 GMT)
    Dr. A.C. Norman, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
      Email:  acn1@phx.cam.ac.uk,
      phone   +44 223 338550 (office), +44 223 247367 (home 1800-2200 GMT)
    FAX: +44 223 334748 (marked attention Dr. Mycroft/Norman Computer Lab).

  The NorCroft C compiler is a significantly optimising re-targetable
  C compiler to the ANSI draft standard.  It includes many 'lint'-like
  features and warnings for common errors (e.g. printf format/argument
  checks, '=' and '==' confused, /* inside comment, etc.).

I know Alan Mycroft, but have no financial link with him or this company.
#include <std_disclaimer.h> /* shouldn't that be .f ? */

jbeard@quintus.UUCP (Jeff Beard) (05/26/88)

I've ported to S/370 using {ATT&T,IBM,SAS,Waterloo} compilers, and overall prefer the SAS.

	variable length record source files

	#define continuation via \ as last char on line

	good inter-language facilities

	ability to execute without a run-time library

	direct object generation (asm.listing optional)

	TRUE re-entrant code using CXD/DXD and one-shot
	initialize compile time assignments

	VM DCSS support (findsys,loadsys)

inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) (05/27/88)

In article <867@dsacg3.UUCP> ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu (Alan Myrvold)
writes:

> In article <1811@thebes.UUCP> schwartz@swatsun.UUCP (Scott Schwartz) writes:

>> I think that the university of waterloo markets a C compiler for IBM
>> mainframes, at least those that run VM/CMS.  As for MVS, I'm not sure.

> The February 1988 issue of Computer Language has advertisements for
> SAS/C and Waterloo C - pages 85 and 109. IBM has a C too.

> I haven't used either - so I cannot claim a preference.

> Si je t'aime? Bien sur que je t'aime! Ne suis-je pas en train de
> te le prouver encore une fois, dans ce lit?

As a public service to this newsgroup in thanks for all the helpful hints
and advice I have gotten here over the past (God has it been that long
ALREADY?) ...the past 2 weeks, I provide here a translation of Alan's
signoff message, which if you are at all alert, you would immediately have
recognized as pidgin Farcy.

    "So what if I love you? Good sir how I do love you! Assuming Swiss
     passengers on the train of tea provide again one goose, may I dance
     with your lip?"

--
Gary Benson		   -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-inc@tc.fluke.com_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Publication Services	   Ensign Benson, Space Cadet, Digital Circus, Sector R

egs@killer.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (05/27/88)

In article <867@dsacg3.UUCP> nff0132@dsacg3.UUCP writes:

>We are considering using C language for supportware development on
>our mainframe computers to allow portability across operating
>system environments.
>
>Does anyone have any information on available C compilers for the
>IBM series 3080 mainframe computer operating under MVS?
>
>Name of company and telephone number be of great help.
>
>Also if anyone has used these compilers I would be interested in hearing
>your opinion - good or bad.

One possiblity:
	IBM's remarket of Whitesmiths C compiler.
	It is ANSI conformant, supports calling other language routines
	from C, runs on MVS, CMS, TSO, etc.

	I used it to port a C program from a PC to an IBM mainframe for
	one of our customers.  We leased the compiler from IBM for one
	month to complete the port.  We were running on a service
	bureau machine under MVS with ROSCOE as the interactive environment.
	I can't say what it runs like under any other enviroment.
	The biggest problems I had were adapting to F type records for output
	and figuring out how the command line might be setup, as well as
	normal ascii to ebcdic translations ( I was the only person on this
	machine with any C experience, so the bureau couldn't be much help ).
	Basically, if the code will compile on an ANSI confroming compiler
	elsewhere, it should compile without much problem on this one.
	I believe you can acquire copies of the manuals from IBM for a
	minimal cost ( I still have the copies I used ).

Hope this helps
		Eric Schnoebelen
		John W. Bridges & Associates, Inc.
		Lewisville, Tx