[comp.lang.c] data in text segment and 4BSD

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/28/88)

In article <688@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Be careful with [cc -R in 4BSD]: as I recall, *all* initialized statics
>go into the .text and are readonly.

Actually, all initialised data.  The `-R' flag is passed through to
the assembler, where it turns the four data segments into four
additional text segments.  I would like to see a compiler option
for readonly strings, which might put "string"s (but not variables
such as `static str[] = "stuff";') into `.text 1'.  In fact, I think
this should have been the default all along.  (So much for what I
think having any effect :-) .)

>...  My solution was to declare:
>
>        static int been_here;
>
>and rely on the initialization to zero; an uninitialized static
>always goes into the .bss.  This may have changed since 4.2.

No, it still works the same.

I like to write my own code so that it can be compiled with `-R',
but it does impose some rather unreasonable constraints for general
use.