[comp.lang.c] the D programnming language

In article <6293@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
>But there's always D!

I've been thinking a bit about what C could be like were it to be
designed today.  I think it could be made noticeably smaller with
cleaner semantics (for example: strict, extensible typing; reserved
name spaces).  Lots of stuff that people have been suggesting for
"D" could be left out and a better language would result.  But who
is going to do this?  Wirth keeps coming up with blah languages,
Ritchie has other fish to fry, etc.  I'd like to try but am not in
a position to do so.

C++ does not fit this notion of a C replacement, by the way, no
matter how useful it is.

bvs@light.uucp (Bakul Shah) (05/27/88)

In article <7972@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <6293@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
>>But there's always D!
>
>I've been thinking a bit about what C could be like were it to be
>designed today.  I think it could be made noticeably smaller with
>cleaner semantics (for example: strict, extensible typing; reserved
>name spaces).  Lots of stuff that people have been suggesting for
>"D" could be left out and a better language would result.  But who
>is going to do this?  Wirth keeps coming up with blah languages,
>Ritchie has other fish to fry, etc.  I'd like to try but am not in
>a position to do so.
>
>C++ does not fit this notion of a C replacement, by the way, no
>matter how useful it is.

I agree with Doug totally!  Privately I have been calling such a hypo-
thetical language ``C-- '' (it'll have the value of C but be smaller :-)
Call it what you will but the important thing is it has to be typesafe
and have a small set of _simple_ and powerful _orthogonal_ features.

This is a favorite subject with me.  Like Doug and many others, I too
have lots of ideas on what should (and should _not_) go in D which I'd
like to discuss and try out in a prototype compiler except that there is
only a limited amount time for playing.  However, with enough people
contributing to the design, specification and prototype compiler of D,
may be we will have something in a year or two.

If there is sufficient interest, we ought to start a mailing list as
that will be a better forum for discussing the design of D.  The goal
would be not to collect a zillion ideas but to define the smallest
possible language that meets a small set of objectives.

One very desirable goal would be a simple mapping from the (more or less)
complete ANSI C to D.  A mapping from D to a small subset of ANSI C (or
K&R C) will also be useful.

Of course, any such discussion has to start with what features to take
out of C, or alternatively, what features can be replaced with more
general features.  For example, if constructors are introduced, we
can get rid of the initialization rules (even a function definition can
be considered a special case of this).  Now if anyone can remove
pointers from the language he gets all the stars he removed _AND_ my
vote to be the president of DSF (D language Specification Foundation)[1]

----
Bakul Shah <..!{ucbvax,sun}!amdcad!light!bvs>

[1] Put a smiley here.

swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) (05/27/88)

In article <7972@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>I've been thinking a bit about what C could be like were it to be
>designed today.  I think it could be made noticeably smaller with
>cleaner semantics (for example: strict, extensible typing; reserved
>name spaces).  Lots of stuff that people have been suggesting for
>"D" could be left out and a better language would result.  But who
>is going to do this?  Wirth keeps coming up with blah languages,
>Ritchie has other fish to fry, etc.  I'd like to try but am not in
>a position to do so.
>
>C++ does not fit this notion of a C replacement, by the way, no
>matter how useful it is.

I dunno, maybe someone might like to start a D mailing list where people could
at least talk about this?  I was thinking of doing this, but if the person
who runs the mailing list has to edit messages I can't do it at this point.

I do know that I could in no way design a language right now.  I've only been
seriously programming for less than four years, so I wouldn't even dream of
my own programming language.  Still, I do have a few ideas.  One thing, D (or
whatever you would like to call it) should not be a superset of C.  I think it
would probably look a lot like it, but some things should also be changed.

Frank Swarbrick (and, yes, the net.cat)           swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU
...!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!tramp!swarbric
"Feed me more lines"

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (05/27/88)

In article <1988May26.161419.7479@light.uucp>, bvs@light.uucp (Bakul Shah) writes:
> [various discussions on D]
> If there is sufficient interest, we ought to start a mailing list as
> that will be a better forum for discussing the design of D.  The goal
> would be not to collect a zillion ideas but to define the smallest
> possible language that meets a small set of objectives.

Please note that some of us don't have kill files and really
don't wish to be inundated with "D Wishlist" articles.  I have a
passing interest in a new-neat-wonderful language, but an awful
lot of postings in the last round of D discussions were really
silly suggestions by those who have no clue on language design
(note that I have only a very small clue on language design but
I know enough not to post).

Good luck on your mailing list :-).

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com    {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl   attmail!vsi!friedl

I'm jeff@unh's brother but I'm not proud of it

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (05/30/88)

In article <6316@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
|I dunno, maybe someone might like to start a D mailing list where people could
|at least talk about this?

I agree strongly, having used "denatured" c variants as design
languages...

And I'd like to be on the list.

--dave ((:-}) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers Ltd.,  | "His Majesty made you a major

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (06/03/88)

D already exists (or should that be P :-).
It's called C++.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+