[comp.lang.c] Needed: translator from VAX BASIC to C

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (06/07/88)

I have been charged with the duty to convert several dozen relatively
huge VAX BASIC programs from a VMS system to C.  Microsoft C 5.1 for
MSDOS to be precise, but any reasonably portable dialect will do.  I
can handle it manually from there.  I don't need it to be perfect, as
I'll have to do lots of manual tweeking anyway.

A shell script, or any sort of device to make my job easier would be
helpful.  Thanks for any code or pointers you can send.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (06/07/88)

In article <15213@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
> I have been charged with the duty to convert several dozen relatively
> huge VAX BASIC programs from a VMS system to C.  Microsoft C 5.1 for
> MSDOS to be precise, but any reasonably portable dialect will do.  I
> --
> Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
> Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
> [70003,4277]			      ...!att!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!mdf
> Columbus, OH		      Guest account at The Ohio State University

if you check the CompuServe MS-DOS file area, you will find a bastoc.arc
program that will allow you to do what you are wanting to do.  If the Basic
you are using is of the old generic style, then this program should covert
99% of your code for you.  The only thing it does not buy you is a method
to contain your gosubs in a 'c' funtion.  All calls are with goto's (yeah,
even in 'C' ***GASP*** 8-) ).  I found it to be a great help.  The only
think I wish it could do is convert 'C' to Basic!
        |_____|            /_/  "Hello Computer!"