[comp.lang.c] replacements for regcmp/regex in PW?

txr98@wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (06/16/88)

Were regcmp or regex in PWB replaced by newer functions in 5.3?  I've
heard this, but I don't know if it's true, and would like to know what
newer functions exist on 5.3 when we migrate to it.  (regcmp and regex
replaced re_comp and re_exec in bell, correct?)

Thanks!
| Timothy Reed - American Chemical Society              |
| UUCP:   ..uunet!wash08!txr98                          |
| BITNET: txr98@CAS                                     |
| USMAIL: 1155 16th NW^MRoom 412^MWashington, DC 20036  |

In article <137@wash08.UUCP> txr98@wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) writes:
>Were regcmp or regex in PWB replaced by newer functions in 5.3?  I've
>heard this, but I don't know if it's true, and would like to know what
>newer functions exist on 5.3 when we migrate to it.  (regcmp and regex
>replaced re_comp and re_exec in bell, correct?)

Look up REGEXP(5).  The PWB routines have been obsolete for years.

I seem to recall posting an implementation of re_comp/re_exec that
uses REGEXP(5) not very long ago.

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (06/17/88)

> Were regcmp or regex in PWB replaced by newer functions in 5.3?  I've
> heard this, but I don't know if it's true,

It's not.

"-lPW" is the same old cruft that it always was (other than some minor cleanups
and an AT&T copyright stuck at the front).

The correct way to do regular expression stuff in S5 is with <regexp.h>; that
has been around since S5"R1", at least.