[comp.lang.c] turboc/msc spawn*

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/16/88)

GENERAL QUESTION:

Where can I get lists of known bugs in Turboc and Quick C?
Alternatively, where can I get lists of the constructs and routines in
each known to perform precisely as documented? Presumably the latter
will be shorter than the former. :)

SPECIFIC QUESTION(1):

Is the spawn* command of Quick-C known to be buggy?  I have
programs that compile and run under TURBOC that use spawnlp
without problem.  These same programs break when compiled with
Quick-C.

SPECIFIC QUESTION(2):

Are there known bugs in the medium model floating point library
of TURBOC?  I have a large program that compiles and runs under
XENIX (small, middle), MSC (middle), and TURBOC (small).  Under
TURBOC (middle), I get a fixup error.  This appears to be related
to the total size of the code, not what's actually in it.  I can
mask off various portions of the code that have something (or
nothing) to do with floating point and it will compile.

E H. Kinmonth Hist. Dept.  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer:  I'm a[n] historian; what the hell do I know about
programming.

Internet:  ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
           cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu
BITNET:    ehkinmonth@ucdavis
UUCP:      {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ehkinmonth
           {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!cck

swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) (06/17/88)

I have a better question...  How does one go about reporting bugs to software
companies?  I have found four or five bugs in Turbo C 1.5, and I would like to
tell them, but if I send them a letter telling them of them will they actually
listen?

Frank Swarbrick (and, yes, the net.cat)           swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU
...!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!tramp!swarbric
"So jump in the river and learn to swim.  God's gonna wash away all your sins.
 And if you still don't see the light, God's gonna buy you a satellite."

aronoff@garfield (Avram Aronoff) (06/17/88)

In article <6685@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
>I have a better question...  How does one go about reporting bugs to software
>companies?  I have found four or five bugs in Turbo C 1.5, and I would like to
>tell them, but if I send them a letter telling them of them will they actually
>listen?

The proper place to report bugs (or request support) for Turbo C is on
CompuServe. Borland maintains four (!) forums there supporting all of their
products. A reply is usually received one day after a message is posted.
							Hymie

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (06/17/88)

In article <6685@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
>I have a better question...  How does one go about reporting bugs to software
>companies?  I have found four or five bugs in Turbo C 1.5, and I would like to
>tell them, but if I send them a letter telling them of them will they actually
>listen?

You can write Borland.  I did once, and they even replied --- six
weeks later.  However, when I say "replied," I mean that I got mail
back from them, not answers to the questions I had raised
(primarily mistakes in the documentation claims about routines
being the same as in UNIX).  They also promised a coupon for $15
worth of time on CompuServe.  It was to come under separate
cover.  A year later, I am still waiting. -:)

On a related note -- I find it interesting that computer
magazines such as PC Journal, Byte, etc. have made no mention of
bugs in QC or TC in any of the reviews I've seen.  Perhaps this
has to do with using only benchmark programs that do nothing to
test the system calls.  Or perhaps it has to do with the
advertising pages these companies buy.

The ability to compile and rapidly execute contrived benchmarks
has nothing to do with real programming.  I'd happily settle for
slower execution if that went with greater freedom from bugs.
Two or three seconds saved in execution cannot repay me for two
or three days spent programming around bugs or testing badly
documented routines to find out how they really work.

It seems to me that there ought to be a benchmark based on some
large, complex program that really talks to the operating system
and video io.  The performance criteria would then be the number
of patches needed for any one compiler and the number of person
hours (months) required to recompile the benchmark and get it to
execute successfully.

E H. Kinmonth Hist. Dept.  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer:  This is AmeriKa!  Who needs a disclaimer!

null@bsu-cs.UUCP (Patrick Bennett) (06/18/88)

In article <5712@columbia.edu>, aronoff@garfield (Avram Aronoff) writes:
> In article <6685@sigi.Colorado.EDU> swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick) writes:
> >I have a better question...  How does one go about reporting bugs to software

> The proper place to report bugs (or request support) for Turbo C is on
> CompuServe. Borland maintains four (!) forums there supporting all of their
> products. A reply is usually received one day after a message is posted.

Borland now has a forum (RoundTable) on GEnie as well - the Author of
Turbo C is scheduled to be in the Conference on the 26th...  The director
of languages was on a few weeks ago...  I highly reccomend GEnie - 'tis
onlt $5.00 an hour at 300 *AND* 1200...

GEnie's IBM RT just broke the 10,000 file mark as well...  Free uploads and
the fastest d/l's of them all...
--
----
Patrick Bennett     UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!null

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (06/18/88)

From article <6685@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, by swarbric@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Frank Swarbrick):
> I have a better question...  How does one go about reporting bugs to software
> companies?  I have found four or five bugs in Turbo C 1.5, and I would like to
> tell them, but if I send them a letter telling them of them will they actually
> listen?

If you own a legal version of the product, you can call their tech
support area, give them your license number, and report the bugs.
I've used their service to find error fixes and to make reports.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ